LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-04-2023, 09:11 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Drum beat! Sanity check!

Hi to all! Just about time you think you have a firm grip on a project and your sanity! Someone always grease's the monkey bars! And again, so it is with the, " never surrender" Luger snail drum!
In this adventure, one of my revised drums was purchased from Numrich, and so the battle begins! Now my customer is very intelligent, but not very mechanical? So we are starting at a slight disadvantage right out of the gate. But with a little phone coaching, we were finally able to load it and off to the range went my customer only to report a considerable number of malfunctions? All different, and all random? Well, I had him return the drum, and I again revised the revision, and tested the drum extensively. Soon, the phone call came, same problems as before, maybe even worse, so I said, send the whole works to me and i'll figure it out. Gun and drum received, off to the range we go! About every fourth round, the empty would jam. No problem, clean up the extractor, no gain? Replace the extractor, no gain, replace the mainspring, no gain, replace the toggle train, no gain, no gain, no gain, etc. etc.
On about my third trip to the range I put my test receiver on the customers frame, and lo and behold, (always wanted to say that!") it ran thru all 32 rounds slicker than oats thru a goose! (always wanted to say that too?) So I thought at least it can work! That night at the bench, I was inspecting the chamber area and just by chance, I noticed that the ejector blade on my test Luger was a little bit more prominent past the breechblock and the extractor tip. I inspected the customers gun, and it was significantly less proud? About .020" So I got out all my spare ejectors and started measuring! I found three or four that were about .010" longer, and two that were .017" to .018" and I opted for the longest one. So, back to the range, I had initially set up the customers Luger for anothe test with my receiver and his toggle train, and just as I suspected, 4 rounds and a jam, what's new about that. On to the next and more decisive test, customers Luger all back to original with the exception of the longer ejector installed! Loaded up the drum and this time, "oats thru a goose" It worked perfect!!! So what to look for! This is hard because there are so many hidden factors! Of course ejector length is critical, but, also the breech block needs to be in tolerance, as does the upper receiver. The rear toggle has to allow full travel to the stop, and of course the extractor has to be in tip top shape.. Remenber, this pertains to drums, as the Luger works fine with the issue mag. But drums will bring out the weakness in a luger in the first go-around! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-04-2023, 11:52 PM   #2
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Nice job G.T. ... I just love your attitude and your dedication.

You inspire me bro.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 01-05-2023, 12:59 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default humility

Thank you spangy, I'm glad you enjoy the posts. I try to make them both enjoyable and instructional. This forum and it's members have become my lifes blood! I feel comfortable here, with all my friends! Best to you spangy, til....lat'r....GT...
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-05-2023, 01:52 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

I would be willing to bet you didn't charge for all that extra work and the replacement part even though the malfunctions were not your fault. I would be happy if I am wrong, but I know you stand behind your work and tend to be a bit too generous.
Ron
Unread 01-05-2023, 02:41 AM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default No charge!

Ron, you know me wwwaaaayyy too well! I would never even think of charging a customer that needs help thru the, "baby turtle" stage"... This is supposed to be fun! Thanks for posting my friend! Best to all, til.....lat'r....GT...
The following 6 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #6
JTD
User

GT, that is a heck of a thing for you to do for the person involved. Tip of the hat to you for sure!!! John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to JTD for your post: