LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-02-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Smile Drum Beat! What NOT to do!!!

I usually only write about the success, or small gains made during the Luger snail drum repair or revisions... At this point in time, something new is a rare occurrence, but today it came around in spades!!!! Early in the day, right after mail delivery, I found myself at the repair bench with a nice early AEG drum, with the only real necessary task was to replace the follower which went missing somewhere between today, and 1916? Well, when I got it apart, I noticed a hitch in the mainspring when almost to the lever lock, so I decided the mainspring needed some lube, and as long as it was on the bench, why not! Well, in retrospect, I can now, with some confidence, tell you exactly why not!
Getting the drum apart was a bit of a struggle, and after achieving that goal, and oiling the spring, it was back together time, and so I started down the path, all the while feeling like this is no sweat, I've done this many times before, and I have? The problem is, the drum doesn't know this and behaves the way it wants to, most of the time, badly! This time was no exception. I had the drum backplate and spring cup, lying on the back, winding lever side, and with a Nylon drift I was tapping on the mainspring to level the coils in order to install the cover? When I gave it a tap, all hell broke loose!!! (is this beginning to sound familier???) The small winding lever retaining detent pin had broken off in the retaining slot on the spring cup, releasing the full power of the, up until then, fully tensioned mainspring! The cup and baseplate were violently spinning clockwise, while the winding lever was violently spinning counter clockwise, with my hands cupping both! The reaction reminded me of counter rotating torpedo propellers? It was painful, but entertaining! I have this deal with God, he ignores my rare outbursts of profanity, cuz he knows I'm going to pray he didn't hear that right afterword's? Anyway, all is ok, I just have to make the retaining pin and re-install, etc. etc. One step forwards, two steps back... catch your balance, thank God for the day, and go at it again in the morning! Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

All's well that ends well. Glad you weren't hurt. Not a lot of folks have an AEG drum and other than you I don't know of anyone that has taken one apart (I'm certainly not going to! )
Ron
Unread 07-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Taking a TM08 apart is like taking a rattlesnake out of your mail box.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 07-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

GT.
Great example of your drive for perfection, and Murphy's law!

Hope you didn't draw blood, but I expect you have some not so nice bruises.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default There was blood!

Not a lot, like most times? But it always becomes stopped by sticking some sharp part into your hands or fingers? That actually is a good thing relatively speaking, otherwise it would break the mainspring when reaching the stop limit under all that inertia… Hands don't think much of it though?? It's kind of like getting a vice grips with teeth clamped onto your hand… Still, we go forwards! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT......
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

G.T., I have those outbursts of profanity, immediately followed by the guilt induced request for God's forgiveness. Sad to say, those outbursts are not as rare as they should be, but pleased by the fact that I know that I need forgiveness. So, it is borderline, but I guess that I am not a total loss. Hopefully........
Unread 07-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
LU1900
User

I buy two new springs from GT , and to put in place : be very careful , broken fingers could be resulting !
The following 2 members says Thank You to LU1900 for your post:
Unread 07-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

No pictures with red and gore - so a successful day
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 07-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Follow up! Mission accomplished!

After the work bench drum disaster that I described early on the third, the next day was spent on just getting back to where I was when I started... I did make a half dozen of the little winding arm lock pins, and a dozen or so blanks that are close to final finish. So, if anyone ever needs one, I'm your huckleberry! … Anyway, after installing the pin, and greasing the spring, I continued with the reassembly and all went well... My takeaways are as follows... Rule one, under all circumstances, protect the winding arm lock pin/mechanism, and rule two, always follow rule one!!! The problem is not that they fail, it is that they fail lightning fast, when you least expect it? This makes the fourth time I've been impaled by a Luger drum part... I could hardly use my hands to start with...
One other thing I have noticed, the AEG drums seem to be made just a bit better then the Bing?... Maybe it reflected in the cost... Lowest bidder, etc. etc. … best to all, til....lat'r....GT...
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Roadster 02
User

I had the rope starting mechanism off a Briggs and Stratton engine, and was rewinding the spring when it got away from me, uncoiling, twisting and cutting the heck out of my fingers, and then the spring did the unforgivable and hit my Harley fender putting a chip in the paint. That was the last straw. Blood all over, cuts between most of my fingers, my hands would heal, but the paint would not. Ballpein hammer, and some heavy duty cuss words fixed that problem. Had to go to the lawnmower shop junkpile to get another housing containing the rope starter for my engine. But, Man! Did that ever feel good.
Roadster 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post: