LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #21
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Sorry Hugh, I accidently inserted my message into your post!

Looks like the barrel broke..No need for an easy out if you can grab hold of a good solid barrel?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default sequence!

Hi to all, well, my first attempt was to clamp the barrel in the barrel vice shown, and hopefully twist everything out in one shot! Well, the barrel was already loose, and in working it back and forth I was able to defeat the solder joint and remove the revolver barrel.. the pin was only into touching the barrel stub, and literally fell right in once the barrel was removed? I was left with the threaded barrel tenon from the original barrel. I couldn't tell if it was soldered, or glued, or pressed, so I did the caveman thing and applied the no. 7 easy out... I clamped the receiver vice to the bench, and tapped in the easy out, clamped on the vice grips and it went "pop" and screwed right out!!!! .... everything seemed to be in order, no damage to the threads or receiver... Soooo, I installed a "MADE IN GERMANY" barrel, and it indexed and head spaced perfectly in the first shot.... I then sat back and looked around as this was going waaaayyy to well, and something had to be amiss? But no, it went back together ready for the range test that has to follow no matter how good everything seems.. But, I think we have a nice solid Luger top half now! Should work great... best to all, til...lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 13 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default didn't have to cut

Hi hayhugh, the barrel just pulled out leaving the threads with a .500" hole... So, in went the EZ out.... Turned it a little, and boom, all good! Best to you, til....lat'r....GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #24
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default no glue!!!!

Hi Marc, no glue, just the loose solder? But, for not having a barrel flange, the threads were still pretty tight... .... best, GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #25
Heinz
User

GT, inquiring minds want to Know :-)
Looks to me from the barrel in the block that they turned down a barrel and stuck it into a P08 breach section they reamed out. Then somehow stuck the turned down barrel into the Luger breech. Probably low temp make-believe silver solder. How is my guess
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #26
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default exactly!

Good morning Heinz, I believe you are spot on with your assessment as to the order of events? But, I think it was/is, just low temp soft solder use in holding the barrel to the tenon... The little pin, as it turns out, did nothing.. although it may have been for indexing if it was installed with a light hand?... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #27
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Range test results

Well, all continues to go well? First range test had no serious issues, But, it occasionally left an empty in the chamber, maybe 1 out of 6? So, I had to the replace the extractor spring? After that, on the second range test, two magazines full, and a few more.. no problems, snappy ejection, all is well! Now, in the mail and back to Alex... ... Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT
The following 6 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #28
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Well done!

Good example of an reasonable idea, but the implementation was faulty; had a good solid
fastening been used, it woulda' worked- and probably did for a while.
Unread 07-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #29
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default reminds me?

Hi to all, the revolver barrel reminds me of a humbling story / situation when I was in my late twenties, I, and a very close friend decided to go on a Moose hunt in Northern Canada! We drove for two days straight, and then a bush pilot flew us, our guide and gear, and a 20' Grumman canoe, another 80 miles in the bush... We hunted for 6 days straight, and only saw a cow and calf, so no big bull to bring home. But, on about the fourth or fifth day.. we came across two native Indian hunters that had paddled and portaged the same 80 miles we had flown! The had two giant bull moose down and were drying the meat on racks so they could better portage and paddle it out. While we were visiting with them, I noticed there rifle of choice was laying in the canoe and it could be described as follows.. A Winchester model 94, with the following modifications? The stock was broken off right behind the tang, and the remnants were held together with black electrical tape. The forearm was taped in the same way, only lots more of it! The rear sight was missing, and the barrel was crudely cut off at a slight angle... The details were hard to see clearly as the whole rifle was in about 3" of water on the floor of the canoe!!! They didn't even have the right ammo?
After our visit, as we paddled away, with all of our now useless high tech gear, realizing our hunt was practically over, my partner said in a low tone, "They shot our Moose!" and after reviewing their effort compared to ours.. I said, no, "they shot their moose".. To this day, if some one says they have been on a serious Moose hunt in northern Canada, I say turn around, and they ask why? I say, I want to see if the word Grumman is imprinted on you butt!!! .. best to all, til....lat'r.....GT
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: