LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #21
Heinz
User

I agree with Don. And the proof of the pudding is "did you hit what you were pointing at". The Luger is pretty good at that; the grip and balance making up for the trigger issues.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I've never adjusted a Luger trigger, but this discussion got me curious about what's been documented. So... I've been searching around about sear engagement, and found many and varied discussions about it.

for the AR-15, this one seems reasonable:

https://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/...oubleshooting/

I also pulled the blueprints for the Luger, and the firing pin shows about a 2 degree angle from 90 degrees off the plane of the firing pin's side. The angle is 2 degrees offset from 90 toward the rear of the firing pin, and at a right angle with the angled portion of the rear of the firing pin it intersects.

It's on page 14 of the blueprints published and sold by John Sabato, so I don't want to reproduce them without his permission.

The sear bar itself seems to have a zero degree offset. It's on page 13 of the blueprints. Since it is rotated around it's fulcrum point when the gun is in battery, I suspect that it's at about a 2 degree angle from the plane of the side of the receiver. If so, it would meet the firing pin's surface straight on at a zero degree angle (no positive or negative engagement).

Sturgess discusses changes to the sear engagement and sear lever design during prototype work, but it's not specific except to say that the sear lever was lengthened "to give an easier and smoother pull off".

On page 382, he discussed a very rare Swiss manual published in 1948 on adjustment of the Luger trigger. It describes a means of bending of the sear bar for adjustment (???) because grinding material to adjust engagement with the firing pin is forbidden. Bending apparently worked with sear bars marked "Chrome Nickle" but that great care should be taken with others because of brittleness.

Less than 175 copies of this trigger adjustment manual were known to be made, and the illustrations in Sturgess are very small, and only a small number of pages.