LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-12-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
stymie
User

Default VBS_LOVELETTER.A

6587345gvsdf7679njbvyt/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe MS_DOS name: UNCLEG~1.VBS I got hit yesterday The following is a cut & paste from another site that I visit. I had to uninstall McAfee 1st. I ran Trend Micro's PC-cillin (30 day free trial period) & it would not correct the problem. Then the damn thing stated that the trial period was over & uninstalled itself. My xxxx is totally reconfigured... Outlook Express keeps asking for my password & takes forever to open... my homepage keeps changing back to some "skynet" bullxxxx... none of my jpegs in my briefcase & desktop can be opened... I'm getting error messages out the yin/yang & this thing is sending itself to everyone in my address book. If I could get my hands on the xxxxsucker who gave me this crap... I'd reconfigure their xxx! I deleted my jpegs & began the arduous task of manually finding corrupted files to quarantine & remove. This virus came to me from a trusted friend who also has McAfee & runs updates as well. Trend Micro found & confirmed the virus. The kicker is that when I ran their program to isolate the *payload*, I found that the bug had attached itself & interwove its package into just about everything... Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Real Time, Quick Time, Adobe Acrobat & others too numerous to mention! I ran the program for over 10 hours only to find that for every file that it isolated... it created TWO new infected Files FROM THE VIRUS SCAN itself! Good Grief! Trying to remove it was bringing my pc to a crawl. At this point, I can only hope that by wiping my entire system & starting from scratch... the problem will finally be resolved. Heads up... this one is really nasty!

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default GET NORTON ANTI-VIRUS and keep it updated! (EOM)

Unread 04-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #3
schwob
RIP

Default Re: GET NORTON ANTI-VIRUS and keep it updated!

This is the very best advice that can be given and should be utilized by all of us, everyday. 'They' have their minds on our business.:-|

Unread 04-12-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,676 Posts
Default NEVER open an e-mail file with a .VBS extension

A lesson for all of us. A .VBS is an executable program and is almost certainly (100%!!) a virus. 20/20 hindsight, but a headsup for the rest of the gang.

Unread 04-12-2002, 11:24 PM   #5
Herb
User

Default Re: VBS_LOVELETTER.A

go to http://www.zonelabs.com and download the free version of Zone Alarm, it will warn you if there is any possibility of an e-mail extention containing a virus. Also blocks scans, pings, and port probes. It is a pretty good firewall especially for free.

Unread 04-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default Stymie... The rule is..., NO VIRUS POSTINGS... PERIOD!