LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #61
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Where Erfurt parts compatable with DWM?
Yes,
within the normal limits of parts interchangeability due to tolerances.
Unread 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #62
DonVoigt
User

David,
You luger markings indicate re-work and re-barrel in the late '30s/early 40's by the HZaJ20,
the Ingoldstat depot, with a Mauser barrel. The pistol was re-proved , see the HZ firing proof on the right side next to the barrel.

We're still waiting for that rear sight picture.

As I said before, it likely got the Erfurt part(there were still Erfurt spares floating around Germany after WWII!) when it was repaired and re-barreled. So I would not change the lever even if I found one.

HZa rebuilt pistols are not common; it would fit nicely in MY collection. I love those re-worked L P08 pistols.

One would have to be into odd and re-built guns to want it, JMHO; or a shooter.
So I don't want to give any value, as I'd buy it- well it is worth about $400; so send it to me asap.
Unread 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #63
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Where Erfurt parts compatable with DWM?
Eric, I think the short answer is yes. As case in point, the take-down lever on this one I've posted is Erfurt proofed (made at that factory) and it fits and functions as intended on a DWM gun. Many parts interchange with the 70's Mauser pistols, and I know from experience that an original ejector will work in my Stainless P.08. The Germans were/are able to hold tolerances with excellent results (= interchangeability), though it's possible anywhere time, money, and motivation are available. They're all offshoots of the original plans, and if you have a copy of John S's drawings, you'll see that nothing is unspecified!
Unread 05-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #64
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Rear Toggle Link Pics

Thanks, Don, for the most interesting info so far, and the reminder about the rear toggle pics. Here we go. I took these inside... It was a choice between taking them outside, or using the last bit of pre-sunset light to shoot a couple of mags. So...

The first pic also shows that the rear toggle axle is correctly numbered. The rear link definitely appears to have had some work done to it. My hypothesis is that some weld was built up in the area, and worked down into a typical P.08 rear sight notch. And it would also appear that creating a nice, flat surface was not much of a priority--judging from the obvious file marks. The retaining pin for the joint has been re-installed, to include a lick with a file to make it flush (also leaving a file mark on the top of the knob). This was all finished over in rust blue.

Now, my question is whether this is the second replacement barrel? Its salt blue finish attests to its post-1937/8 treatment. But the font on the barrel is not what impresses me as typically Mauser, since it is not the more squared style one sees on the WWII pistols, but the tops to its "5"s are even curvier than the ones on the rest of the gun. I know that font variation occurs "naturally" to some extent, and nothing definitive can necessarily be concluded, based on them. Don's call about the depot-level rework is a likely explanation... that the facility was using older or non-standard number dies. Perhaps they spiffed up/processed a barrel in this manner/order if it was supplied in the white?

In addition, the surface of the barrel is telling me that it was smoothed off in a lathe after the s.n., bore measurement, and the eagles were stamped, and then blued. There is no displacement of the metal around any of them, and there's significant "fade" to all the impressions.

The other thing I'm puzzled about is that pistols for the government weren't allowed with the 8" length such as those of LP.08s. If it was property marked in the Weimar days, wouldn't the barrel have been changed out then, as well? Since the rear toggle is rust blued, I'm thinking its conversion was done in the 20's, when it was property stamped?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0530162047.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	59322  

Name:	0530162047a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	59323  

Unread 05-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #65
DonVoigt
User

Dave,
You could start a thread on your piece in another thread, maybe in the Weimar area.

Yes, this could and likely is the second barrel. Long P 08s were used by the police for a couple years or more and then the barrels shortened or replaced, and by the Navy. This one was clearly worked over again in "Nazi" times.

The rear sight is unusual, I've not seen or read about one "added" or built up. But it could be and looks the part. The govt. arsenals in Weimar or Nazi times, would have had plenty of rear toggles and not needed to build a sight-IMO.

Might get more eyes on it in another spot in its own thread- but I'm glad you posted it here first!

Where do I send the $400 check?
Unread 05-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #66
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Dave,
You could start a thread on your piece in another thread, maybe in the Weimar area.
That's an idea, might transfer the salient questions and answers to one there.

Quote:
Yes, this could and likely is the second barrel. Long P 08s were used by the police for a couple years or more and then the barrels shortened or replaced, and by the Navy. This one was clearly worked over again in "Nazi" times.
OK, if the "or more" could incorporate almost two decades between early twenties and late thirties...

Quote:
The rear sight is unusual, I've not seen or read about one "added" or built up. But it could be and looks the part. The govt. arsenals in Weimar or Nazi times, would have had plenty of rear toggles and not needed to build a sight-IMO.
Availability of spare toggles at depots is a good point. Confusing, for sure.

Quote:
Might get more eyes on it in another spot in its own thread- but I'm glad you posted it here first!

Where do I send the $400 check?
I'll forward my address, so you can send that check and a couple more! $750 at RIAC, "apparaised" at $3k!--which might be a tad high...
Unread 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #67
DonVoigt
User

If the "apparaiser" will get anywhere close to $3k, I'd let him have the pistol,
and buy two or three more!

And yes, IMO, easily 15-20 years between re-barreling.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 11-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #68
Caferacer
User

My shooter to be is getting closer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161112_154513.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	62648