, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> Imperial magazine tool ID ( long ) - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-16-2001, 11:19 PM   #1
Roger
User

Default Imperial magazine tool ID ( long )

I recently purchased a 1937 Mauser military Luger. The gun was brought to the US during WW2 by a Army Medical Corps Doctor on leave. I purchased the gun from a friend who bought the Doctors gun collection from his widow. According to the widow, this Luger was his pride and joy. Its a early 37, with 95%-97% blue and beautiful straw, matching mag too. The interesting part is that its in a 1918 holster with a completely blank unmarked tool. Were any Imperial tools unmarked ? As I cannot see anything on this one and I'm hard pressed to believe its a repo due to the rigs history. Please advise guys, thanks !!

Roger

Unread 09-17-2001, 09:24 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Imperial magazine tool ID ( long )

Only the tools coming out of the Erfurt Arsenal had the Crown/script letter Imperial inspection markings. The DWM mag loading tools used during WW1, were their standard unmarked commericals. I have both types available, if needed.

Unread 09-17-2001, 06:35 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Re: Imperial magazine tool ID ( long )

Roger, The best way I have found to detect fake tools is to measure the thickness with a dial caliper. Take one of your originals and see how close the thickness matches the one you suspect. It should match it to a couple of thousands if original. The knockoffs tend to be too thick. This is not an absolutely sure test but it is quick and easy. I do not have all my things together to give you measurements. Maybe later...Jerry

Unread 09-18-2001, 04:38 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Re: measures one tenth

Roger, Two of the tools I have on hand measure one tenth of an inch apiece within five thousands. One is a navy and one is proofed656 or 856 or somthing along that line. The Navy is WW1 and the other is WW2 so this should give you some idea of what to look for. I believe Jan Still has a comparison in one of his excellent books. Hope this helps a little. Jerry