LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-06-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
MikeP
User

Default Vendor Report

Here is the final story on the Erfurt 1918 I questioned last week--Puchased From Simpson-gun was advertised as 95% blue and 70% straw. This was true-but-he advertises his guns matching and 100% original. Ths gun had a replaced firing pin and a replaced mag release. Also a cracked breechblock. Talked to him on the phone today and it was basically oops-too bad for you-we can't check everything--try again. I'm getting my payment back but am out $45-he charges $30 to ship it but it only cost $15 with insurance to return it--I would not complain except the piece was not matching as advertised-who would be stupid enough to keep it. People talk about how great some of these guys are-I now know two of the major players who will stick it as far up you as you are willing to let them to make a buck. If these are the good guys these days then it's time to switch to fishing. In my world anybody who adverises a gun as 100% original and matching should be man enough to back it up. I have better things to do with $45 than throw it in the air.

MikeP

Unread 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #2
tom collins

Default Re: Vendor Report

who's the other "player"?

Unread 02-06-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Mike; for their false information, we pay freight both ways. Doesn"t seem right does it? Has happened to me a couple of times too.

Lonnie

Unread 02-06-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
Milton

Default About That Firing Pin.........

Why did you conclude that the firing pin was a replacement? As far as I know, Erfurt firing pins were unfluted and not numbered to the gun, but were marked with an imperial proof. What is the marking on the firing pin, and is it properly unfluted?

Unread 02-06-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
Dok
RIP

I guess it's a statement of the obvious, but when money is involved, particularly when that money is one's livelihood, it's sad to say that the primary responsibility rest with you.

As good as any dealer is... caveat emptor. I've heard horror stories about the best, so it happens, but that doesn't mean they're disreputable, but you're still out $45, and that would piss me off too.

Better luck next time.

Dok

Unread 02-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

The order for marking the P08 which was first issued in 1910 called for the firing pin the carry the inspection stamp as well as the serial number. It appears that Erfurt fully complied with the directive, which DWM did not.

I certainly can't speak for every Erfurt, but mine have the serial numbered firing pin.

Unread 02-07-2002, 12:15 PM   #7
Uncle Mike
User

Default My 2 cents!

Hi,If you were selling him a Luger do you think he would"check everything".MC

Unread 02-07-2002, 04:54 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default Gee, that's a tough one... :( (EOM)

Unread 02-09-2002, 08:02 PM   #9
Don
User

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I bought a shooter, for about $500, which was not as described. I talked to Bob Simpson, and he said, "send it back, it's a piece of junk." When I asked him why the description wasn't accurate, he said something to the effect of, "what do you expect for $500?" To me, that was a real copout.

Unread 02-11-2002, 06:57 AM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

You know, I would not be too hard on Simpson. What he did was pretty much the practice of vendors. I will bet that Shattuck also has the same policy as do others. I know that it is irritating but that is the way it is. These guys have a large number of guns that they buy and sell and occasionally a bad one slips through. Be happy that the guy graciously and promptly returns your money. I once bought a Luger off of a guy from "Gun List" magazine and the guy got nasty with me and it took me three months to get my money back. And that was only after "Gun List" magazine gave me the little help that they were able to give (which really was not much).

Big Norm