LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 09-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Blake
New User

Default My new Luger

Hello to everyone. I just joined since I received a Luger from my dad. I believe it is a commercial Luger since I took a look around and found the symbol (an N with a crown above it) meant it was commercial. Let me tell you what I know.

My grandpa got the gun some time around '45 or '46. The story I've been told by my dad and grandma is that his friend brought it back from North Africa while he was stationed there. Supposedly he took it off a Nazi pilot who was shot down. That is what I know, and I have no clue if it has any validity.

The gun is a 7.65 mm and seems to be in great condition. It is stamped with DWM on the top and it has the N with a crown looking thing on the top, above the serial number on the barrel. It has a weird symbol underneath the serial number, which according to what I read on this site, stands for the letter P. Every part on this gun has matching serial numbers, and the magazine has the wooden bottom. Can anyone tell me the year it was made? Also, I'm having a hard time finding 7.65mm ammo. If I found .30 ammo, could it be fired safely from this gun?

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Aaron
Banned

Does it say "Germany" anywhere on the pistol?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Blake
New User

Yes, it says Germany above the trigger. What does that mean?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It means it was destined for export to the US, which required the country of origin to be marked somewhere on the pistol.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Aaron
Banned

It is far more likely that this pistol was exported to the US in the 1920s and was never used in WWII.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
MFC
User

Assuming an even production rate... your pistol, classified as a DWM Alphabet commercial, was made for export to the U.S., in 1926. Almost all German military accepted Lugers were 9mm. Pilots usually carried much smaller sidearms.
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
sabbathmusic
Banned

WE DO not know the a Luftwaffe pilot COULD not have carried this gun. And Luftwaffe pilots did carry Lugers. This is an awesome gun and looks JUST like mine. What is the letter following the serial number? The N over the crown is nearer a nitro proof indicating this gun was tested with higher powered rounds and it works. You can go to the Sportsmanguide and buy Fiocchi .30 Luger from there. Lugers are built to last forever and there is NO problem with shooting it. I have video's of me on U-Tube shooting mine and the .30 Luger by virtue of shape and correct charge works better in Lugers than the new domestic 9mm odes in 9mm Lugers. This= a more reliable Luger, you will love it. If your magazine does not work or needs a spring, buy a spring from Wolf springs and get a Mec Gar Luger magazine, they work perfectly. Here is the site http://www.ambientsw.com/gs42897.html

The only parts that may break on a Luger would be the tip off the Striker (Firing pin) the ejector and the extractor. You can buy spares and use them and take your original striker out. Can you tell me if your striker has a serial number and if it is grooved. At some point after 1910 or a decade later they added grease grooves to the striker to aid in plunging power. My theory is; LUger's are too good NOT too shoot.

Last edited by sabbathmusic; 10-19-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added content.
sabbathmusic is offline   Reply With Quote