LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
USMA82
New User

Default Help With Evaluation

I recently acquired an Artillery Luger from a friend who was cleaning up his father's estate. I am not a collector, and would appreciate some assistance in determining it's condition, originality, and value. If any members are in the greater Huntsville, AL area (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Birmingham) and would consider meeting me, please respond to LindbergJohn@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
John

I have attached a PDF collection of photos as the individual JPGs were too large to upload. Here's what I know about this rig.

I recently purchased it from the son of the owner here in Huntsville. The father worked for the Army in the early days of the rocket/space program and bought the rig from one of the German scientists/engineers in the late 50's / early 60's. The son does not believe the father ever fired it, just kept it in the safe. I disassembled and cleaned/oiled the pistol, cleaned and added some orange oil to the wood, and treated the leather with Pecard's antique leather preservative.

All numbers outside and inside the pistol match. The grips are not numbered. Bore is clean and bright. One of the magazines is numbered, but does not match this pistol, the other magazine is not numbered. Comparing this pistol to one at Simpson's advertised as 97% (listed for $10K), the finish on my pistol is significantly better.

The stock is also numbered to the pistol. The name "Leo. Gett" is lightly inscribed in the stock. I looked at some Huntsville phone books from the era and could not identify Mr. Gett.

The holster is not numbered, but is stamped with the matching 1917 date. One of the keepers has separated from the leather strap, but I have the keeper. Both the cleaning rod and loading tool are present.

The drum magazine is not numbered that I can see, the dust cover is present.

Any suggestions as to value would be most appreciated. If any additional info or photos would help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luger Photos.pdf (6.97 MB, 128 views)

Last edited by USMA82; 05-27-2023 at 05:24 PM.
USMA82 is offline   Reply With Quote