LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts
Question SIMSON vs KRIEGHOFF prices

Perhaps I'm going to ask a question very simple to answer, but I've always wondered why KRIEGHOFF Lugers cost so much more that SIMSON ones.
Can't be because of the quantities made, according to Mr Randall Gibson KRIEGHOFF made about 12,200 pistols for the Luftwaffe and 1,625 commercial ones, while SIMSON made even fewer pistols, about 11,900 pieces only for the Army and the Police.
Am I wrong to assume that is probably a sort of mix between production "quality" , number of pistols on the market, and historical significance that still makes KRIEGHOFF lugers so much more sought after?
Unread 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

yes - I think it is from several factors

1. Condition
Krieghoffs (HK) were made from approx 1936 through the war, while Simson were made in 1925-1934 - and were slotted for army use - so they were used much more

2. Fit and finish
Fit I would say it was the same, however Simson was making a army pistol, HK was making a gun to impress the brass (hoping to get machinegun contracts I have read, more profit in them I think), so I believe they put in more effort in making them with a deep blued finish

3. American propaganda - I think less was known about Simson arms in the 50's and 60's and I think dealers knew that HK had beautiful shotguns, so they pushed HK as special.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

What I'm about to write will probably sound like heresy to some and sour grapes to others. (For the record, I'm a long time Krieghoff owner (1937 #7736) and have shot skeet with HK shotguns for over 40 years).
There is a widespread belief that HK's were lovingly assembled by old-world craftsmen who lavished them with superior fit and finish.
Nothing could be further from the truth! Krieghoff was a small family owned company (and still is), whereas Mauser was an enormous arms making factory whose average monthly Luger production approached that of all the HK's ever made. Krieghoffs were produced on antiquated machinery and a high proportion of the parts produced were out of spec and had to be laboriously fitted by hand. If that was not possible they were assembled into guns for commercial sale (waste not want not!). By contrast, the Lugers at the Mauser plant were produced on state of the art machinery and the small proportion of out of spec parts were simply discarded.
Mauser P08's had an enviable reputation for reliability and accuracy during WW2 and still do. Krieghoff's saw little actual war time use since most of them were issued to Luftwaffe flak units that were stationed behind the lines. Nowadays they have gotten so expensive that their owners are afraid to shoot them!
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I'm with Norm, it is the "Krieghoff" name mystique- coupled with "Nazi" and "Luftwaffe".

Any notion of "quality" really makes little sense as they were produced on third hand - "hand-me-down" machinery: Erfurt->Simson->Krieghoff. JMHO.

Only luger mfg. that I know of that marketed "reject" frames, those marked with a star, as good enough for commerce.
The following 5 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Although I agree with Norm - what does Mauser have to do with Simson?
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
MikeP
User

I remember shows in the 50s and 60s. Krieghoffs were considered as premium for some obscure reason and Simson Suhl's were seen mostly as just an odd variation.
Unit markings were considered as detractions and BYF 41s were considered cheapo last ditch specimens that nobody wanted. Hence the resulting marketing ploy "Black Widow".
Funny to see the changes.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 07-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think the fact Kreighoff's were originally ordered for the Luftwaffe made them sound special. I think Goering ordered 10,000 of them, but by that point in aviation history, experienced airmen wanted a vest pistol and some officers were going for the newer P-38. They do have different acceptance and proof stamps and lot of variations.

I believe German officers chose their own sidearms, but enlisted were issued their weapons.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 07-20-2019, 05:38 AM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Although I agree with Norm - what does Mauser have to do with Simson?
Probably Norm was only making a comparison.

Anyway thanks Edward, who better than you could have given me an answer on SIMSON's lugers.

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 07-20-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sergio Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hmm. After Krieghoff came the VEB Ernst Thälmann Werke in Suhl. They only did a small run in 1953.

So technically they should be the most expensive ones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71_72_01a-1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	77566  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post: