LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
meadowlark
User

Default Magazine not feeding properly

Hi all, I bought some 9mm"snap"caps just to see if my recently acquired 1938 P.08 would load properly. Bottom line - it doesn't! My problem is not knowing if it"s the magazine (it's not the original, the marking doesn't match) or the snap caps. How can one tell?
Also, when activating the toggle I have to keep pressure on the clip in order to lock the toggle in place. does anyone know of a fix for this?
TIA
meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
HerrKaiser
User

It could be any one or all of the issues you mentioned. If you have a modern reproduction like a MecGar, try that out to see if any of the above aspects improve. Your hold open and/or hold open spring may also be weak or damaged if it’s not engaging like it should.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowlark View Post
Hi all, I bought some 9mm"snap"caps just to see if my recently acquired 1938 P.08 would load properly. Bottom line - it doesn't! My problem is not knowing if it"s the magazine (it's not the original, the marking doesn't match) or the snap caps. How can one tell?
Also, when activating the toggle I have to keep pressure on the clip in order to lock the toggle in place. does anyone know of a fix for this?
TIA
If you have to keep pressure on the mag to get the hold open to work, it is probably the magazine- or less likely the hold open.

You can always remove the striker/spring/and retainer; and use live rounds to test. Observe all safety precautions just as you would if the striker were still in the pistol.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

IF the magazine sits low in the pistol, it could be that the retention notch is worn and prevents the magazine button from pushing the holdopen high enough for reliably locking back the toggle.

Another critical factor to reliable feeding is the Overall Length of the cartridges you are trying to feed (snap-caps or otherwise).

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 05-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
meadowlark
User

Thanks John,
I suspect it's the magazine as you described. Unfortunately, I don't have another magazine to test that assumption. While I know I can buy one over the internet I would prefer trying one that's of the same year and manufacturer as mine. Finding one might be a challenge though!
I measured the snap caps and they appear to be in spec. I'll get some live rounds (remove the firing pin as suggested above) and try it again.
Unread 05-30-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Period correctness of a mag indicates nothing about how well it will work. Year and manufacture of mag aren't as important as one's design and condition. You'll want to set originals aside for shooting anyway, because their wood bottoms can break. Italian made MecGar mags are the go-to mags for shooting and cause very few problems.
Unread 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Also, don't squeeze that very last round into your magazines. They are all more prone to misfeeding when loaded to the max.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

In a Luger to use as a "shooter" at the range I would only use a new mag, FWIK "MEC GAR" makes pretty good magazines also for Luger pistols, and are not expensive either.
Unread 05-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
4 Scale
User

When a Luger has a feed and/or hold open issue I agree that the magazine is the best place to start the analysis. Perhaps my most valuable 'tool' for such pistols is a MecGar magazine with a stronger-than-stock spring installed by Gerald Tomek (GT). Often that magazine cures a hold-open or feeding issue, when it doesn't my analysis of the problem moves to non-magazine areas.

Please describe the loading issue in more detail, Lugers can malfunction in more than one way during the loading cycle.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 05-31-2019 at 09:50 AM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

And how about trying it at the range before deciding that there is a problem? Hand cycling snap caps does not replicate how the gun will function loading 115 gr. FMJ rounds.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Perhaps my most valuable 'tool' for such pistols is a MecGar magazine with a stronger-than-stock spring installed by Gerald Tomek (GT). Often that magazine cures a hold-open or feeding issue, when it doesn't my analysis of the problem moves to non-magazine areas.

This ^^^^^
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
meadowlark
User

Hi all,
I'll try to respond to your replies as best I can.
1- With regards to the problem being the magazine I bought some Remington 9mm Luger .115gr rounds and they worked perfectly after first removing the firing pin. I measured both the snap cap and the live round as best I could (I don't have access to precision measuring tools) and found that the snap cap is a tiny bit thicker. The length is identical.
2- I didn't plan on using this gun on the firing range since it is in a collectable condition and didn't want to take any chances with it. But now I might just fire off a clip or two just to make sure everything is working fine.
3 - I will order the MecGar magazine and use that for the firing test.
Hopefully, I covered your replies and I want to thank all of you for your valuable inputs.
Unread 05-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
Scottrt
User

CDNN Sells new Mauser made Blued extruded magazines for a great price too. I bought a bunch of them from my shooter and they work great.

Scott
Scottrt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Scottrt for your post:
Unread 06-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
meadowlark
User

Thanks Scottrt I ordered and received a MecGar magazine yesterday and it loads much better. I really can't see why this magazine pushes the magazine catch much higher than the original but it really does! Locking the toggle is not the problem anymore .I now have a different problem though but I think more my ignorance of Lugers than anything else but may be related to the new magazine pushing the magazine catch much higher. The problem is this - when I cycle the toggle to load a snap cap round in the chamber it locks in the back position. I have to push back a little farther to take pressure off then release the magazine clip. The snap cap remains in the magazine.
Unread 06-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #15
meadowlark
User

Good point! However, I'm the curious type and wanted to make sure everything worked including firing it.
Unread 06-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowlark View Post
Thanks Scottrt I ordered and received a MecGar magazine yesterday and it loads much better. I really can't see why this magazine pushes the magazine catch much higher than the original but it really does! Locking the toggle is not the problem anymore .I now have a different problem though but I think more my ignorance of Lugers than anything else but may be related to the new magazine pushing the magazine catch much higher. The problem is this - when I cycle the toggle to load a snap cap round in the chamber it locks in the back position. I have to push back a little farther to take pressure off then release the magazine clip. The snap cap remains in the magazine.
This makes no sense.

Are you loading the snap cap via the magazine or directly into the chamber?

The magazine can only raise the hold open so far, it is limited by the arm of the hold open connecting with the bottom of the receiver; this is only the case when the pistol is assembled of course.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 06-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
meadowlark
User

Hi Don,

I'm loading the snap caps via the magazine. I think I understand why the confusion. When I said "I really can't see why this magazine pushes the magazine catch much higher than the original" I was checking the original magazine's "hold open" function to the new MecGar magazine hold open function by disassembling the pistol and using just frame portion of the Luger so I'll be able to see the difference when I insert each magazine.
Unread 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
4 Scale
User

Snap caps have value in checking some aspects of function, but I have owned pistols that don't cycle snap caps well that function perfectly with live ammo. My default is Winchester White Box 115 gr.; I avoid Remington ammo as I have owned P 08s do not seem to like it.
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #19
meadowlark
User

Default Thanks for the advice

Wouldn't you know that I bought some Remington ammo a while back when I was thinking of testing this pistol to make sure everything was working properly. I have since decided not to fire it and just keep it as a collectable. Thanks again for that information re: Remington ammo.
Unread 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #20
4 Scale
User

Lugers can be ammo sensitive. So when troubleshooting any issue relating to FTF/FTE or magazines, for me part of the testing regimen includes trying different ammo. For all I know Remington might work great in some Lugers. My Lugers however seem to have gotten together and decided they don't like it.