LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

A much easier (and possibly less expensive alternative) that will not alter your existing collectible Erfurt Luger would be to buy a complete cannon assembly. This is the barrel with sight attached to a receiver. The complete barrel and receiver with sear.

This might require fitting since there could be slight differences between the fitment of the sear on the replacement, and the complete trigger and side plate. Obviously, you would only make adjustments on the cannon not the other parts (which would still need to work with the original Erfurt cannon assembly and it's sear).

The cost of the complete upper (cannon) with a properly fitted toggle train might be less than having a barrel fit to the Erfurt receiver. That would be much less reversible since it would require a gunsmith again to put it back into original condition - something that could not be achieved easily.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
remerus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
A much easier (and possibly less expensive alternative) that will not alter your existing collectible Erfurt Luger would be to buy a complete cannon assembly. This is the barrel with sight attached to a receiver. The complete barrel and receiver with sear.

This might require fitting since there could be slight differences between the fitment of the sear on the replacement, and the complete trigger and side plate. Obviously, you would only make adjustments on the cannon not the other parts (which would still need to work with the original Erfurt cannon assembly and it's sear).

The cost of the complete upper (cannon) with a properly fitted toggle train might be less than having a barrel fit to the Erfurt receiver. That would be much less reversible since it would require a gunsmith again to put it back into original condition - something that could not be achieved easily.
Thanks mrerick good reply, Unfortunately access and prices for parts here in Australia I guess because we are a smaller more restricted market would make that proposal less cost effective than having an alternative barrel installed.

Ideally it would be I agree better to have a completely separate cannon assembly to use on the frame but essentially over here that means either buying a separate pistol entirely or waiting for the parts to come up for sale in over the course of years and build it up from there, neither of which is time or cost effective to me.

So that only leaves two remaining options A: to go with the solution already mentioned in previous posts.
Or B: Import the parts I need from your side of the pond which has its hurdles (I have imported pistols from the US before) and do as you suggested. Ahh the quandaries...

Just an aside question, is there a higher front sight available to suit the addition of Navy rear sights should I want to modify the pistol later on?

Cheers C
remerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Just an aside question, is there a higher front sight available to suit the addition of Navy rear sights should I want to modify the pistol later on?

Yes, GT(member here) has had replacements made in several heights. Lugerdoc(member) has them in stock; I'd start with the tallest available, you can always work it down.

Marc's idea will work, but the cost will be about half the price of a complete luger; likely much more than a new or used barrel and the cost to install it(at least in the US it is).
Add to that the possible/probable fitting issues, and you have a less than certain and not cheaper option. JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: