upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Swiss Lugers

I find my self looking at the Swiss Lugers more and more as most of the ones that I have seen have beautiful finishes. I was wondering if between the Bern, the sunbusrst, and the cross in shield if any one of these is the most collectible. I do not much care for the straight look of the 1929 grips but really like the unique look of the border on the Bern grips. Thanks as any information before diving in would be appreciated as I currently mainly collect Imperial Lugers. Thanks again, Curt
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Curt,

Depends on your budget and if you will only buy one Swiss Luger or many more.

If only one Swiss, I would recommend one of the Military Swiss M1900 Lugers with their elegant dished toggles...but they are pricier than the others.

If you need to stay under a buget of $ 3K...a DWM-Swiss M1906 cross/sunburst or cross/shield or a '24 Bern would be the way to go.

BTW...if you are looking to buy from a retail dealer, the folks at FGS in Ohio (Doug Smith and Ken Clark) have solid reputations for honesty and good pricing.

They will usually send more photos of a Luger you would have interest in.

Here is a link to some of the Swiss Lugers FGS is offering :

http://www.fgsinc.8m.com/photo_4.html

I have also had many pleasant buying experiences with Bob and Brad Simpson of the Simpsons LTD shop in Galesburg, IL.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=179_216

As with any and all retail sellers, asking price may not be the same as selling price. Reasonable offers can always be rejected, but it never hurts to try to get a better price.

Both offer a no-questions asked return-policy in which you would loose shipping costs only if you do not like the gun when it arrives.

Both outfits also travel to many gun shows around the midwest and east coast...you could always call ahead and ask them to bring a piece along to their next gun show where you could see it in person and decide to buy then...

The link to this Poll may also help you decide whom to buy from (retail sellers...). The Poll asked folks not whom they would buy their first Luger from...but whom they would buy a 2nd. Luger from...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...threadid=16090
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

If you are buying from Simpson do not use a credit card. You will be charged a restocking fee if you return it . It cost me $120 to find this out. Bill
Unread 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

Good point Bill...thanks for that reminder.

FGS does not take CC's at all.

I always went in person to the Simpsons LTD shop...so I could do my inspection for "free"...my trip to IL has/is always paid for by my clients...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote