LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-25-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default MISSED LUGER PURCHASE

ONE PONDERS THE QUESTION, "WHERE DO I START WITH REGARDS TO COLLECTING?" THE SENSIBLE ANSWER IS HEARD OVER AND OVER. "READ THE BOOK" IN FACT READ ALL THE BOOKS OVER AND OVER. THIS IS A WISE ANSWER FOR MANY REASONS, THE LEAST OF WHICH IS THAT YOU MAY GET TAKEN DOWN THE LINE AND LOOSE HARD EARNED MONEY IN THE PROCESS. THIS IS A TRUE STORY AND YES THE NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT! I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING GUNS FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAVE PURCHASED SOME GOOD DEALS AND SOME NOT SO GOOD DEALS, THAT I CHALK UP TO EXPERIENCE. BUT TODAY WAS ONE I WILL ALLWAYS REMEMBER. AN OLDER FRIEND AND FELLOW COLLECTOR OF MINE CALLED ME LAST NIGHT WITH A GREAT DEAL. HE STATED THAT HE HAD RECENTLY BOUGHT A LUGER AT THE GUN SHOW IN DES MOINES. HE DESCRIBED IT AS A 1918 DATED DWM LUGER IN APROXIMATELY 98% CONDITION. NOT BY ANY MEANS A RARE GUN BUT IN THAT CONDITION ONE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IN MY COLLECTION. OF COURSE MY ANTISIPATION TOOK OVER AND THIS LUGER OCCUPIED MY THOUGHTS UNTIL I COULD DRIVE THE HALF HOUR TODAY TO SEE IT. I DON'T HAVE A POKER FACE WHEN IT COMES TO LUGERS! AFTER WHAT SEEMED LIKE A WEEK OF SUNDAYS, I FINALLY ARRIVED AT HIS HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY. HE WAS ABOUT 20 MINUTES LATE. HIS WIFE KEPT ME BUSY WITH SMALL TALK ABOUT THE WEATHER. FINALLY THE TIME HAD ARRIVED. MY FRIEND CAME IN THE ROOM CARRYING A LONG GUN CASE AND TWO SMALLER HANDGUN CASES. HE TOOK OUT A WINCHESTER MODEL 42, IN GREAT CONDITION, GRANTED BUT I CAME TO SEE MY QUARRY. AFTER VIEWING TWO MORE RECENT PURCHASES, HE WENT TO GET THE LUGER! HE OPENED THE CASE EVER SO SLOWLY AND HANDED THE PISTOL TO ME. I LOOKED IT OVER VERY CAREFULLY TO ASSESS IT'S CONDITION....... AND YOU GUESSED IT, THE GUN WAS RE-BLUED WITH AN EVER SO SLIGHT ROUNDING OF THE PROOF MARKS. I OPENED THE TOGGLE AND FOUND THE ENTIRE GUN HAD BEEN RE-BLUED(SAVE THE SMALL STRAWED PARTS) NATURALLY MY HEART SANK! ON THE WAY HOME I DID'NT KNOW WHETHER TO BE DISAPPOINTED AT THE MISSED LUGER PURCHASE(EACH PURCHASE IS A SLICE OF PURE NERVANA TO ME)OR THANKFULL THAT I HAD READ AND RE-READ ALL OF MY LUGER BOOKS SEVERAL TIMES AND NOW HAD THE EXPERIENCE TO MAKE A WISE AND THOUGHTFULL DECISSION? NOW SEVERAL HOURS LATER, I THINK THE LATTER IS TRUE! MY ADVICE TO NEW COLLECTORS IS READ THE BOOKS AVAILABLE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE EVEN YOUR FIRST LUGER. SOME DAY YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID! ALSO HANDLE AS MANY LUGERS AS YOU CAN TO BRING SOME PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE TO YOUR COLLECTING. I'M FORTUNATE, I HAVE SIMPSONS IN GALESBURG ILLINOIS(2 HOURS AWAY) THEY ARE KIND ENOUGH TO LET ME BROWSE AT MY LEISUER THEIR LUGER ROOM.(OK, I USUALLY BUY SOMETHING EVERY TIME I GO THERE) JUST MY THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCES.

BEST REGARDS FRIENDS,

TIMOTHY CANNEY

Unread 09-25-2001, 04:13 PM   #2
Martin

Default Re: MISSED LUGER PURCHASE

Oh well, you probably gave your friend a long introduction as to how to tell a reblued gun from an original, so the trip wasn't a total loss. By the way, how badly was your friend taken on the deal?

Unread 09-25-2001, 06:12 PM   #3
Joe
User

Tim

I think we have all experienced a similar situation, when we are disappointed in finding out that the Luger is not what we thought or hoped it would be. I know that I have. Then you have to go through the explanation to the owner as to why your not interested in it.

Unread 09-25-2001, 08:35 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Thats the beauty of this forum. There are a lot of thinks I have learned from here that just are not said in the books. The books are a great help too. But I have been collecting lugers for twelve years now and I have made a lot of mistakes both buying bad guns and not buying good guns. My trouble is that when I see something I really like, I forget my experience and buy with emotion. You'd think I would have calmed down by now. I try to get a second opinion whenever possible before I buy and that way I can reduce emotion. But I can not always get an informed second opinion. My list is long on mistakes in both directions. If mistakes build character, then I have to be quite a character.

Big Norm

Unread 09-25-2001, 09:28 PM   #5
Dok
RIP

Default Timothy....

with all due respect... can you PLEASE not type everything in CAPS.It's very hard to read, and many people don't appreciate it. It's the online equivilent of SHOUTING! Please don't be offended, but upper and lower case characters would make your posts much more enjoyable to all.

Thanks

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 09-25-2001, 10:50 PM   #6
mlm

The luger was misrepresented to you. A reblued gun is widely accepted to have 0% and not 98% finish. If he knew this then he owed you for the time and trouble.

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:21 AM   #7
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I IMAGINE HE PAID $600.00 FOR IT BECAUSE HE WAS ASKING $750.00

TIM

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:25 AM   #8
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I DID'NT FEEL LIKE IT WAS THE TIME TO BRING IT UP TO HIM. HE'S THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WOULD ARGUE AND IT'S JUST NOT WORTH THE ENERGY. I MAY POINT IT OUT TO HIM DOWN THE ROAD. HE IS MORE OF A GUN TRADING AQUINTANCE THAN A FRIEND.

TIM

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:26 AM   #9
TIMOTHY CANNEY

DITTO X100

TIM

Unread 09-26-2001, 11:01 AM   #10
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I agree but he will find out the truth sooner or later. I think he knew the score as he has collected guns for years. he never was a friend, more like a gun collecting aquaintence. Well we live and learn!

Tim

Unread 09-26-2001, 11:21 AM   #11
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default Re: Timothy....

Sorry to hear that it caused such a problem for you. I have Muscular Dystrophy, and it affects my hands and feet to a great extent which in turn makes typing and changing letter case a bother. It takes me a great deal of time to type my forum responses/comments. But if this is a great bother to others I will do my best to accomodate. I am not affended, but just want you to have all the facts.

TAKE GOOD CARE! (I meant to shout this time.)

BEST REGARDS,

TIMOTHY CANNEY

Unread 09-26-2001, 04:01 PM   #12
Martin

you know, you really don't want to offend a potential source of collectible items. if you just put up with them and let them think they are knowledgeable, they won't lose face and maybe the next time tey call you it will be for something worthwhile. also, tim, just don't bother using any capital letters. that should save you time and we will still understand you perfectly.

Unread 09-26-2001, 08:18 PM   #13
Dok
RIP

Default EXCUSE ME...

Excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth! I did not realize you had a physical disability, and I certainly feel like a jerk now. Of course you are forgiven for using all caps , and please continue, in your case it will be overlooked. Posters in the past have been "jumped on" by some members of the forum, and I was just trying to head one of those events, off at the pass... Please be our guest, and type any way you are most comfortable.

Regards,

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 09-26-2001, 08:29 PM   #14
66mustang

Default Re: EXCUSE ME...

Very well said Dok, just one of those things that happen, but I feel it was rather brave of Timothy to explain, rather than just quit coming by...

Best to all,

Ed

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:00 PM   #15
Tracy

Default Re: EXCUSE ME...

Right on. Another example of why we need to get all the facts before we jump. We lose too many friends that way. Way to go Timothy doesn't look like you will not let anything beat you. Take care.

Tracy

Unread 09-27-2001, 10:28 AM   #16
TIMOTHY CANNEY

You guys are Great!

I am very fortunate to have a "form" of Muscular Dystrophy that allows me to still walk and have at least some hand strength, allbiet not the best, and will probably progress slowly throughout my lifespan. As long as I am able to hold a luger and get to gun shows I will consider myself one of the luckyist people on the face of this earth! I JUST CANT GET ENOUGH OF THESE THINGS! I thank GOD daily for all my blessings!

You all take care and let me know of any special DWM Lugers you have for sale!( high grade or unit marked models).

My very best regards to you all!

Timothy Canney

Unread 09-27-2001, 06:33 PM   #17
Thor
User

Welcome Timothy! Glad to have you with us! Thor

Unread 09-28-2001, 09:54 AM   #18
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Glad to be here!!!!!!!!!

Timothy Canney