LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
RadioHack
User

Default It's one of the Ugliest Lugers, but it's mine.

Gentlemen,

I purchased my first Luger over the weekend and wanted to post some pics of it and get your thoughts on it. Plus, yes- I've already been in contact with Mr. Thor about his services for restoring the finish. I know because of the damage it can only ever be of value as a shooter, but I'm willing to go into the financial deficit hole to bring it back to looking like the grand machine it should be.

It's a single dated 1918 Erfurt, all the external numbers match down to the magazine and grips, I field stripped it and all internal numbers match as well, everything matches. Internally, the pistol could have been made yesterday, the bore is fantastic, and the parts look pristine. It has the "t" code under the serial number of 3582 on the front of the pistol.

Unfortunately it does have the obvious corrosion damage as seen in the pictures. It's mainly on the right side of the Pistol, so I'm blaming it on improper storage whilst laying it on its right side. There is also some more but much less pitting on the left side so it may have had something lying on top of it.

The only provenance I could get on it was that the previous owner (quite elderly) had gotten it from his Father who served during the Great War and he had kept the pistol for many years and had basically forgotten about it because it did not interest him. When he rediscovered it, he decided to sell it.

For just over $500.00 it's now mine. I know some will say I paid too much, but here in the DFW area of Texas where I now live, I’ve been on the lookout for a P08 for a while and even mismatched parts guns and Russian captures are hovering around the $700.00 mark. Plus, me being from the UK, anytime I can buy a “real” pistol without it being deactivated, it’s a thrill.

So, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger 013.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	16738

Name:	Luger 017.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	16739

Name:	Luger 021.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	16740
RadioHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Please elaborate on your being from the UK but still being able to purchase a live "real" pistol? I would guess that you will not be returning there?

She is a fine old Erfurt arsenal Luger, and a shame that she was mistreated for so long... I support your decision to return her to her original glory... and Ted Green (THOR) is just the man to do it...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
RadioHack
User

I married a girl from Louisiana, I'm a Resident Alien with a Texas CHL. To purchase a firearm all I have to do is fill out the 4473 Form, show three months worth of utility bills proving residency, provide them my Texas DL, Resident Alien Card and the CHL to skip the background check. Since this is Texas they also like it if I whistle Dixie whilst handing over the cash.
RadioHack is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to RadioHack for your post:
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Good for you..!!! And I agree with John S... Contact "Thor" if you want to see your Luger returned to glorious condition. Thor works and weaves "magic" over these fine old firearms...

Now about whistling Dixie..??!!!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
rivieraranch
User

Erfurts were exceptionally nice Lugers. Yours is real solid and authentic. It would be worthwhile to return it to former glory.
rivieraranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Minnepiper
User

"Thor" restored my 1918 Erfurt shooter a couple years back. Sure gets the looks at the range!
Minnepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Douglas Jr.
User

Radio,

If you are happy, that's all that really matters at the end of the day.
Please, show it for us after Thor's work on it.

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
marshombre
User

Thor rehabilitated my '13 Erfurt better than what I asked for. Now it is far to cherry to shoot. I guess I'll just have to find another Erfurt for range work.
marshombre is offline   Reply With Quote