LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
britbit50
User

Default Hollow Point ammunition

Anyone been successful using any type of jhp ammunition in a Mauser 29/70 or 06/73 ?

I read somewhere that original ammunition used a truncated cone shaped bullet and that the Hornady Critical Defense 9mm bullet shape is kinda similar; not that I would dream of using it for self defense, but I like experimenting. Guess I'll spend the 25 bucks to give it a try otherwise.
britbit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I think the Hornady round might be the right shape to follow the route into battery, but I'd wonder about the bullet's weight/charge relationship. It's usually recommended that +P, +P+, NATO, and other "hot" loads be avoided to reduce the risk of damaging the action/breaking something. Is this hollow point a high velocity round? I'd postpone the experiment till we hear more. Someone , I hope, with a more definitive answer should chime in here, so be patient...
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The load data for hollow point ammo is calculated to allow the bullet to expand when it strikes an object. Different HP bullets require different velocities to achieve this end. Therefore, they are usually loaded a bit hotter than FMJ bullets.

They do not have to be loaded to those level IF you don't need/want expansion of the bullet. I just loaded some Hornady XTP(HP) .309in bullets to 30 luger brass, and used my FMJ data for the same weight of bullet. they may or may not expand....I don't care, in that these are the ONLY .309in jacketed 92gr bullets that I can find to load.
rhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
JD
User

I've used Federal 115 grain 9BP ammo through both my Interams Mausers and a Finnish M-23 without a problem. The bullet has a rather rounded profile and feeds perfectly in my guns, and the ammo has a extremely good reputation as a defense round. It is also not a hot round at all and a bit on the mild side. I don't plan on using them as defense guns, but I did want to see if they would function with factory hollow point ammo.

I've also had very good luck in my reloads with Remington 115 grain and 124 grain jacketed hollow points, though you have to pay attention to the overall loaded length and load them out to about the max. length possible.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
johnii
User

I use Federal (Bulk Ammunition) with 9BP 115 grain in both of my S/42s (1936 and 1937) without a problem. I wanted Winchester 115 gr Silvertips but they are not available anymore and so I went Federal 9BP lot number (for a thousand rounds) V23J597.

This ammunition works in both of my P-08s, both of my P-38s, my Hi Power (Browning) and my SIG P210.

I could not find decent ammunition especially in bulk at Walmart or Local Gun Shops or Cabella's or Bass and Pro. So I just ordered it from Bulk Ammo.
johnii is offline   Reply With Quote