LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 12-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
stefanosg
User

Question .30 to 9mm Conversion

I wanted to make sure of this, but in order to convert a Luger from .30cal to 9mm, I would need a 9mm barrel. Would I need to change anything else? There is a 30cal sitting at the gunshop where I shoot. Its been given a phosphate finish, but is all matching save the magazines. At this point I know the matching is a moot point, but I thought it worth mentioning. Anyway, he is asking 650 for it and I figured I would offer him 300 and see if he would take it. May make for a nice restoration project and have myself a real purty shooter.
Unread 12-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Stefan, Unless you have the proper tools, I would not advise you attempting to change the barrel yourself. TH PS: Many of the cdmmercially available barrels on the market, require a finish chamber ream to head space properly.
Unread 12-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Steven,

Check to see if this gun has an SA stamp on the left receiver, and/or a T inside a circle or a triangle on the barrrel. Finnish Lugers are often found with a phosphate-like finish, and either of these marks indicate the Finnish connection.

If this is the case the pistol would certainly be a worthwhile acquisition, but it would be equally worthwhile to retain it in its .30 configuration and find another Luger for a project.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
stefanosg
User

It also has 7.62 stamped into the barrel in nice Gothic text. I offered 3 for it, someone else I was told offered 4, and it was turned down. So with that being said, I doubt this will happen. In either case its good to know for future reference. As for the barrel, definately. The guy who runs the gunshop can do the work for me. I only looked at it once, perhaps a closer inspection will reveal more, I may even get some pics. If its Finnish, then maybe its worth the 650. Thanks
Unread 12-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Stefan, If the left side of the barrel is marked "Kal.7,65" and it has a matching Mauser Banner toggle, it is probably a WW2 era Swedish or Latvian commerical and worth a lot more than $650. See Lugers at Random pages 280 * 281. TH
Unread 01-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
stefanosg
User

That is how it is stamped. It has a light colored phosphate like finish. I'll have to examine it closer for the other details. Thanks Again!