LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #21
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Rich, I just tested any timeout by the FORUM with over 30 minutes of pausing with an open "reply" before actually posting a message...

that tells you that the forum's settings are not the issue... it has to be somewhere on the path from the originator TO the forum. Your "session" is between you and the ISP... there is no timeout parameter in the forum software. Each transaction is independent, and only executes when you push the reply button. If you don't get to post... then something other than the forum has timed you out.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
that tells you that the forum's settings are not the issue... it has to be somewhere on the path from the originator TO the forum. Your "session" is between you and the ISP...
Or between my ISP and the Forums's ISP...

Not a biggie. Just time, after all. There is nothing that important in my life that it can't wait a day or so...or weeks, for that matter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I have cable Internet access. I experience time out only on this forum. I have had some time out experience on Still's forum in the past but lately it has not been a problem. Like postino, if I know I am going to have a really long post, I will compose it ahead of time in Word and get all of my photos organized. If I have a lot of photos, I make an initial post and then subsequent edits to add the rest.
Although a bit annoying, I am aware of the problem and if I have something I want to post I do not mind doing the work around. After all, this is a hobby and I do it for the enjoyment.
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ron, if possible, I would like to see the error messages you get when this phenom happens...

You can capture the current window in use, including error message splash screens, by keying a ALT-Printscreen... then paste it into the graphics software of your choice and save it.

Even though you have a cable internet connection, I still feel it is a connection configuration issue between your PC and your ISP... I would like to find the answer since it affects more than just one member.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
Piet
User

Ron,
Can you upload a word document? How is it done?
I work through broadband and sometimes when I send the message, I'm logged out and have to login again. The message is gone, and I have to do it over again.
I suppose it has something to do with my settings of the modum, that will search for the strongest signal. It sometimes switch over from 3g to something else.
Piet
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Piet,
I really do not "upload" the Word document, I copy the text and paste it into the message box on the forum.
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
PhilOhio
User

Guys,

Guess what? I just got zapped with the involuntary log-out as I hit the button to preview what I had drafted below, which I was about to post. So John, it's still there. It wasn't a disconnect by my IP, and my computer settings allow saving of this site's cookies. This time, knowing the problem, I had taken the precaution of copying my draft onto my computer's clip board before going for the preview. I didn't even need that; after re-logging in, I was returned to my composition window, with the draft post still there. All this only proves how much more reliable Lugers are than computers, even if the former have their shortcomings.

Well, it's reassuring to see that what I am experiencing is identical to what others here are running into. That means it is diagnosable and fixable.

John,

I have a Time-Warner Roadrunner cable connection, and a complete fiber optics trunk line system was installed more than a year ago. What I get, is that after awhile (MUCH less than 30 minutes) I am involuntarily logged out. The evidence that this has silently happened comes at exactly the keystroke where I try to view a new thread, do a post preview, or take any new action which can only be done by a logged in registered user. At that point a new login screen appears, with user name and password windows blank.

When I fill them in and log in again, I am immediately returned to where I wanted to go, unless I was trying to preview a long post (not a fairly short one). Then it's gone; I have lost the ball game. I get a message saying that the page has expired and I have to push a back button or something. But it is not possible to go back, because the "page has expired" (some message to that effect). My post has gone up in smoke. I was timed out. It has nothing to do with my connection or an IP problem or a setting on my own computer, as far as I can determine. Looks to me as though this is a minor glitch in some board software setting. And I know some of those can be tough to track down. I haven't seen this one on another board.

Another unique feature which I noticed early was that this board's software does not allow a guest to view existing posts without signing in as a registered user, with user name and password. Maybe that was not intended, but it's working that way. It may be related to the above problems?

Ron,

Yes, your suggestion for composing lengthy posts off-board, then cutting and pasting them here, is a good one. Same idea occurred to me last night. I've done that elsewhere, during a time when I was getting unpredictable IP disconnects due to technical problems, which are of course evident just by looking at the lights on my cable router. But I have not been getting IP disconnects in connection with the problem here.

Tom,

It's interesting to hear that you have gotten the same results with the Numrich 16" barrel blanks. So I didn't buy the only two bad ones. Must be some good ones out there someplace, from another manufacturer. Maybe I'll eventually find an orphan semi Uzi take-off barrel.

Guys, John,

I only mention the software problems because this is such a great board and I thought you fellow technical junkies are like me, always trying to get it right. That's why I spend so much time in the basement with my bench grinder, rat tail files, and big hammer, trying to restore these beat up old Colt Walkers into nice tin can shooters that also look a lot better.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

OK John, per your request I did a time out. I created a quick reply at 12:46 and waited until 1:10 to send it. I got the first message when I attempted to submit. Then when I refreshed I got the next screen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Message.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6105  

Name:	Refresh Message.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	6106  

Unread 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
PhilOhio
User

Ron,

Yes, one of the problem situations I ran into generated the same error message as the top sentence in the top window copy you posted above...but it happened with the attempt to preview regular post, not a Quick Reply.

Then when I tried to refresh, the expired page error message came and the draft was gone.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Here's the error message I get - Notice it is from the "Attach Files/Manage Attachments" window...This was from a 5-pic upload attempt...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	servererror.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	6107  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote