LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 08-02-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
Torquemada055
User

Question correct holster

If I start an Imperial Era collection what would be the correct type and color of holster?
Also, would a replica be sufficient, as I am not a rich man.

[img]confused.gif[/img]
Unread 08-02-2002, 10:05 PM   #2
Aaron
Banned

Until 1915 military Luger holsters were brown. In 1915 the regulation color was changed to black, and many were dyed in the field with whatever was handy. However, some were not dyed.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Torquemada...Aaron is quite correct. The reason many are not dyed is, even though the Imperial Army directive was issued, the funds to implement the work were never forthcoming. During this period dye was expensive and armorers were paid a few pfinnigs per piece to do the work. Thats why even though the front was dyed it is common to see the back without a dye job. Emagine how many millions of holsters were affeced by this order?

I believe you have to explore with yourself what kind of collector you want to be. An original holster is one you will be proud to own and to look at. It will also come with a great deal of history attached and that alone is what collecting is all about. A repro will bring you pain and agony every time you pick it up or get a glance at it.

I highly recomend that you save up and find a decent original holster. It will go up in value over the years and when you go to sell it ,it will be worth more than you paid for it.In the meantime it will not bring tears to your eyes whenever you see it. A repro will still be worth $20.00.

I wrote a critique of the CMR holsters in a previous thread. They are considered to be one of the best by some people. I am not one of those people. Read this critique and let me know what you think of repro holsters...

I have made several Luger holsters from scratch and I will be the first to tell you it is a real job to do. To do it right is much harder still. No one in the repro market today does it right as far as I know. Pistols don't fit, thread is cheap cotton instead of linen and the leather can be sharp, stiff and unpleasant to handle. Parts are the wrong size and misplaced...They are basically a botch job made by some poor laborer in Poland or Pakistan or India.There must be many German saddlers rolling in their graves... Anyone who opts for a repro holster just dosen't give a hoot about the Luger collecting hobby.Let me qualify that last statement. There are places where repro parts are justified. Some hard to get and very expensive things. Some things that cannot be found at any price. Some things that are smaller parts and do not affect the whole. Some things you may intend to use in the field that an original would not hold up, such as a Luger Lanyard.

But for the most part a repro Luger holster is a bad idea unless you intend to use it for weekend reinacting and an original would not hold up to rolling in the dirt. A true collector wants a piece of history.

If someone were selling Luger pistols to the same standards as repro holsters there would be quite a few people out there with less eyes and fingers than God issued them. But hey! This is just one mans opinion. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 02:21 AM   #4
Garfield
User

Jerry:

Since there were less than 350,000 military lugers produced prior to the 1915 order requiring holsters to be dyed black, I really don't think that there were "many millions" of holsters that had to be attended to.

Good Hunting,
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Garfield, Well, right you are! To defend my erroneous statement I could say the order applied to all military holsters not just Lugers. But plain and simple , I inflated the figure to make my point and in the heat of battle was not thinking clearly! No excuse Sir! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #6
Garfield
User

Jerry:

Understood. Just trying to set the record straight.

Good Hunting,
Unread 08-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #7
Torquemada055
User

Thanks for the replies, as i mentioned I am not a rich man. Just a poor working guy with kids at home still.
The hobby and my motives for collecting are my own and I believe in having the correct accessories, but I still have to have something to transport the weapon and store it in.
As for a collectable holster, I would like to have one and make a nice rig.
I have also been looking for a nice holster and the prices are almost as high as for a shooter pistol, makes it hard to fulfill my dream.
Unread 08-11-2002, 10:12 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Talking

Clayton, (my uncles name, neat WW2 story from him [img]smile.gif[/img] ), anyway, just keep your eyes open, you can find an original on e-bay every now and then that you might get a good price on (just have all those Luger buffs looking too from the forum).

Go to shows, put an ad in the paper, seems to work for some, I have had an ad off and on the last 6 months and only got one guy that had a welllll used rifle for sale, nothing good for me [img]frown.gif[/img] Still, look around and you'll find something or even trade for something?

Repro wise, they are good enough quality to play with, plus you can get Hunter holsters that fit Lugers for a good price.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 01:55 AM   #9
Heydrich
Banned

[quote]Anyone who opts for a repro holster just dosen't give a hoot about the Luger collecting hobby<hr></blockquote>

I beg your pardon? I recently bought a CMR repro holster for my 1918 DWM and I'm extremely happy with it. The pistol fits great in it, the workmanship is very good in my opinion, and the brown leather looks awesome. I don’t care about the cleaning tool compartment, I’ll never use it. The spare WW2 magazine I bought fits perfect in its slot. Bring me pain and agony every time I look at it? Not even. I think of how cool it looks and what a great deal I got.
Heydrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 03:11 AM   #10
Garfield
User

Heydrich:

Let us be fair. Jerry qualified his "don't give a hoot" statement. Repros do have a place. Jerry makes some of the best. Personally, I think
CMRs suck canal water, but what the hay?

Good on ya,