LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 09-28-2002, 07:53 PM   #1
bernardg
User

Question Could it be orginal?

This holster came with my 1916 DWM luger, which I bought from a local dealer. The owner said he got it from someone's collection. Pictures of the Luger is in the "New Member's Forum". This holster had belt loops at one time, but seems to have been modified for a cartidge belt. I can't find any markings and it looks to have been dyed black...still in decent shape.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/holsteropen.jpg

bernardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
bernardg, I believe you'll find it's original but modified after the war to fit a web pistol belt such as the Americans used. I've seen the same style holsters offered on ebay from, I believe, Norway. From what I read (so please consider this hearsay until someone with more knowledge chimes in) the Norwegeans modified German equipment after the war to suit their needs, Luger holsters included.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2002, 09:34 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
BernardG, It is a sad but true story told by member Daubs...Some people collect this modification as is and are of the opinion it is a natural progression of the Luger holster and worth collecting. I can see their point but would prefer that this modification not taken place. However since this was done before I was born the Military authorities were not aware of my very important preference.

The only other alternative is to carefully drill out the offending metal rivets and remove the G.I. belt hanger and install proper belt loops. You must also plug the rivet holes with leather to try to disguise their prescence. Please, do not try this at home...Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
P. Ristan
User

Hello! Since I'm a Norwegian collector I thought I should answer this one... Theese holsters are very common here in Norway.. In the 1950's the Norwegian army converted all their Lugerholsters in this manner to fit their web-belts. Many thousands were converted. Here in Norway they have little value. You can pic up one of theese conversions in very good shape for about $25.
P. Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 10:52 AM   #5
policeluger
RIP

I do not believe that all of these can be traced to Norway, I have seen photos of post WW2 German police directing traffic, wearing web belts with these modified holsters. I have in my collection, and it is one of my more prized Lugers, a Weimar police Luger, with a web belt mod. Now the gun is serialed to the holster, holster is a WW1 artillery rework, that was then paired to the gun when reissued (1920's??), matching tool and mags, and I guess that after the war was re-issued to post war police and at sometime found it way here.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 03:46 PM   #6
P. Ristan
User

I never said ALL of theese holster came from the norwegian army, but on the 10. november 1952 the Norwegian army had 11.100 standard P-08 lugers and all of the lugers used by the norwegian army had converted holsters. So the number of theese holsters on the marked today is substantial.. I have seen several hundred of theese holsters.. (I've gone through quite a few of them coming directly from our army), and my point was that the holster pictured above looks like a norwegian conversion..
Unread 09-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
P. Ristan
User

One more thing I forgot to mention... Did you know that the Norwegian army had several thousand troops stationed in Germany until the late 1950's (I think it was in the british sector..)?? Are you quite sure the picture you have seen isn't of a norwegian MP or something?? Hope this was of some help.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Unread 09-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Very interesting thread. Interesting to hear of those with experience with other countries that had Lugers.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote