LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 05-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Georgesd
User

Default correct holster for a 1939 "42" Luger?

What would be the correct holster for a 1939 "42" P08 Luger? I bought one recently which came with a holster marked "Steinmetz, Breslau". I can't tell for sure if the date is 1915 or 1945. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
George
Georgesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

George,

A very similar question was posted on Jan Still's Central Powers Pistols forum yesterday.

My reply:

"Leather is comparatively fragile. And Luger holsters, due to their design are even more so. It wouldn't be a stretch by any means to assume that the Luger was mated with a different dated holster. Either at the time of issue, or to imagine that the issue holster was rendered unserviceable in the field or through routine heavy use and was replaced at a later date with what was immediately available.

Purist, or at least those who fancy themselves purist collectors. Often dream about the 100% mint matching rig. They are few and far between.

To mate or marry a rig I would go with the following.

1. Holster matching by date and in like condition to the pistol.

2. Holster dated within 2 to 3 years of pistol.

3. Holster is from the same era as the pistol. Imperial, Weimar, Third Reich, no matter what the date.

Holster unit marked or numbered to the pistol would be a major plus. I have, and have had, many Weimar Reichswehr 1919-1933 era unit marked holsters that are in excellent condition dated anywhere from 1910-1925.

I recently saw a documented bring-back that was captured from a German machine gunner at Remagen by the owner's Dad. He had a letter from his Dad stating so, and had two photos of his Dad standing on a Sherman Tank holding the Luger at the German end of the Remagen Bridge. The pistol was a 1939/42 Mauser Luger in excellent condition with two matching magazines. The holster was very nice with minor scuffs and was 1918 dated."

Your holster is a 1915. IMO, too much emphasis is placed on matching holsters and pistols, but that is just my opinion. The only exception, to me, being an Imperial or Reichswehr unit marked Luger with a matching unit marked holster which would be a major issue.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Smith for your post:
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Georgesd
User

Default correct holster for a 1939 "42"

Thanks Ron! Very comprehensive.
George
Georgesd is offline   Reply With Quote