LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 08-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #41
MauserLugers
User

No, I did not know about the 25 Walther of your father's, nor thousands of other GI bringbacks directly. My father was in WW2 as were two of my uncles and all have passed away now. I take it though, that your father's 25 was not a "one of a kind", extremely high dollar pistol, nor were the bring backs from my father or his brothers. Most of my relatives stuff was actually in the 85 to 90% condition. As I stated earlier, I do not know if your Luger is correct or not as Mausers are my field of collecting, but what I do know is mint Lugers are extremely hard to find. I just find it very interesting and yes, suspicious, that in the last couple of years two one of a kind Lugers have surfaced out of the blue, with no one ever hearing about them, in mint condition, with no history or trail. Since condition dictates price, it is interesting to me that both of these are in such grand condition. I'm personally not buying the explanation of the GI had it stuck away all this time, and no one ever heard or looked at it, but it really doesn't matter what I think, so convincing me is not one of your top priorities. Actually I hope it is correct, but I am suspicious. Lets face it, in todays collecting field you have to question every piece you see because so many have been messed with, and remember the stories, every Luger was taken directly off an officier, or better yet, an SS officier. --- Bill
MauserLugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #42
pipeman45
User

As I am as far from an expert as one can get on these rare Lugers all I can say is. Lets all hold back and wait for what one of the true ones has to say about this pistol. And I also have to say that I too think a lot of interesting, unknown guns will surface in the next few years. To most GI's a Luger was just about the best trophy you could get your hands on. But few were collectors then or later in life. So some rare pieces were put away with the medals and forgotten. The young boys that gave so much to keep us free are nearing the end, and these pieces will once again see the light of day.
Unread 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #43
drbuster
User

I am told that both Charles Kenyon and Tom Armstrong will soon be seeing and examing this controversial Luger. I hope that one or both of them will enlighten all of us with their respected opinions.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #44
surlydog
User

To Pipeman45 Amen to your comments about the men that brought these guns back..My dad was a combat MP in the Bulge and told me more then once about collecting weapons and having a tank drive back and forth over them ..military as well as sporting met the tank..He did ship home a drilling though. I am also reminded of hies telling of gun pits hidden in the woods. Seems the Germans planed to slip back behind the lines and recover them. He said in a couple pits he assisted opening there were a few hand guns mostly rifles and oddly the same number of machine guns in various models..I have wondered at times, if all those pits were found..we can always at least daydream about it. Again thanks for your comments...Harry P.S. Mr Kenyon is supposed to conect with me fri or sat. on his return from D.C...I am looking foreward to meeting the man..
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #45
Jan C Still
User

Harry
It is my understanding that Kenyon has examined the presentation Navy Luger under discussion. Please report the results of his examination. Members of both Forums examined your photographs and spent some time answering your questions. I am sure the members of both Forums are interested.
Jan
Jan C Still is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #46
Ron Smith
User

I have a question. Would'nt someone know if von Tirpitz' estate was still standing or destroyed by the Allies. Seems to me that, that would be a memorable occurance. And something that would be documented or at least remembered. If it wasn't destroyed by demolition squad or even by the Allies. It would seem that if the story is hinky, then the pistols authenticity would be very doubtful. Just a thought.

Also, if there was a "vault"? Was the pistol the only contents? Seems as though there would be a complete rig, presentation case, holster,tool, etc. As well as other valuable articles.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #47
drbuster
User

Ron, Please check your PM's.
Unread 09-16-2005, 04:07 AM   #48
c3006
User

Man this is like the tape breaking near the end of a good John Wayne movie.
Unread 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #49
MauserLugers
User

So what has been found out about this pistol? Since nothing has been shared it would appear that the news was not good? What's the story? --- Bill
MauserLugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #50
Pete Ebbink
User

Bill,

Switch to the "Gunshow" section and look for a thread started by Geo. Anderson titled "I've See The Elephant"...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #51
Pete Ebbink
User

I have borrowed this photo from Jan's Gun Boards site...

I thought I read somewhere in John Walter's book that the "c" on presentation pieces was used only on carbine models. If this is true, it does not appear correct on a Navy piece...???

Text Added by Pete : "The Luger Story" by John Walter, page 102, last 2 paragraphs along the page. I might be wrong, here...but didn't the German's spell carbine with a "k"...???

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #52
Ron Smith
User

Should this pistol even have a stock lug? Unless it is made on a carbine frame.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #53
drbuster
User

Ron, I guess the frame would have to have come from a 1902 carbine as the stock lug looks very much a part of the frame and doesn't show any photo evidence of being welded on. Also, if I recollect correctly, the 1902 carbines that I have been fortunate to examine personally, all have had the full thickness grip safety and third type safety lever. These findings on the AvT Luger make one wonder why a fabricator in Waffenfabrik USA would have gone to all the trouble to find a second type safety lever and narrow grip safety to put on it, or was it just an attempt to confuse? Just taking a re-look at the photos of this piece make one marvel at how well it appears to be made and finished. I find it very hard to question the wisdom and experience of Charles Kenyon, but I would love to see in writing what there was about this piece to make him feel it was not an original presentation piece.
Unread 10-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #54
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
I would love to see in writing what there was about this piece to make him feel it was not an original presentation piece
Me too.