LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
What about cutting a coil or two from the mainspring?
Cutting coils from compression type springs doesn't make springs lighter, just shorter. 20 pounds spring is 20 pounds no matter how many coils you eliminate or add to.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
Blastattack
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
What CAD program are you using???
It's called Cadkey 97 R2. And yes, the 97 indicates the year It's very basic as far as CAD programs go, but I find it very easy to use and can quickly generate 2D blueprints with it. Of all the programs I have tried (Including Solidworks, MasterCam and AutoCad), this one is by far the easiest to make 2D drawings in. However it does lack much of the slickness that the aforementioned programs have. I can post it up on Google Drive if anyone wants, can't see posting decade-and-a-half old tech being much of an issue.
Blastattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #43
Blastattack
User

Receiver support block:

Made from standard C360 Brass. Nothing special here. the block is made to just barely fit in the minimum specifications of the Luger Receiver. The two guide rails that protrude .055" I later revised to .045" for extra clearance. all dimensions that do not have specific tolerances are +/- .005, everything else as labeled. The most critical dimensions (to me) are the width of the block (.512) and the dimensions and exact location (relative to each other) of the two guide rails. The height (.866) is largely irrelevant, but will end up perfectly flush with the underside of the receiver and the very top of the ears.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luger Receiver Support Block.pdf (1.02 MB, 54 views)
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
Blastattack
User

Making the front sight elevation adjustable is actually really starting to grow on me. Doing something like the Margolin Pistol would be very effective and east to design and manufacture.

Given the substantial sight plane height increase inherent in mounting a sight on the toggle, there should be lots of room to fit the body and elevation assembly into a front sight. It would also mean that the barrel could be easily slimmed, as my front base "ring" could be completely turned off. Hmm hmm hmm. You guys get me thinking!

Unread 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #45
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Or machine down just the top of the ring, so you still have some mass and the sight assembly and muzzle area looks more balanced, (pretty pistols shoot better).
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
It's called Cadkey 97 R2... I can post it up on Google Drive if anyone wants...
I would be interested. It has been many years since I did any CAD/CAM work (no longer have access to that machinery) but Cadkey looks much better than the pencil sketches I draw on the backs of envelopes and use as blueprints...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #47
Blastattack
User

As promised: Cadkey 97 R2. Not as fancy as some of the stuff on the market today, but the program is very robust and, with practice, can achieve some very impressive results. A quick Google search shows there are still a sizeable number of users and a good selection of technical and training resources dedicated to this program. Cool. Hopefully it works well.

I would read the Readmes in there. I think I installed it improperly on my computer, and thus it does not have all the features it should. I could only get the program to work with "Compact Install" on my Vista computer, but full functionality on my XP computer. If any issues crop up, feel free to shoot me a PM and I am more than happy to try and assist.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UE...it?usp=sharing
The following member says Thank You to Blastattack for your post:
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #48
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Thank You!

80MB...

And Google has a disclaimer for this file -

Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses.

The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway

Luckily, I have Hiren’s BootCD which has several popular free anti-virus programs, as well as hundreds of other useful programs & applications (disregard the 'download manager').
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #49
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Mauser fixed it by milling the sides of the barrel flat, reducing the overall weight, on their .30 luger sports version in the 1970s.

You can also consider milling horizontal grooves along the barrel exterior, in order to reduce weight.

Alternatively, chamber it for .30 Mauser or 7,62 Tokarev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	32331  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #50
Blastattack
User

Quote:
Thank You!

80MB...

And Google has a disclaimer for this file -

Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses.

The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway

Luckily, I have Hiren’s BootCD which has several popular free anti-virus programs, as well as hundreds of other useful programs & applications (disregard the 'download manager').
That's pretty small, all things considered. I imagine it was a monster when it was running on Windows 3.1 or 95 . If you need a tutorial, we can try and arrange something. It's simple, but not exactly fast or intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Mauser fixed it by milling the sides of the barrel flat, reducing the overall weight, on their .30 luger sports version in the 1970s.

You can also consider milling horizontal grooves along the barrel exterior, in order to reduce weight.

Alternatively, chamber it for .30 Mauser or 7,62 Tokarev
Hmm... interesting. I think i will start by shortening and thinning, we'll see from there. I'm not a huge fan of slab sided barrels. Any idea how those barrels are, and how wide the .30 luger one is?
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #51
Blastattack
User

Quote:

Also, it's definitely safe. That folder was ripped straight from the install and has been solely on my computer since.