LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #41
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mag issues!

Hi Storm, again, "nothing is ever as it seems!" my number one rule of life! The Mec-Gar mags are, and have been, a real asset to my Luger problem solving over the last few years! (Mec-Gar mags weren't always that great! The newest with the nylon follower are outstanding!)
Having isolated the problem to mags or mag location in the Luger, it is natural to suspect the follower spring, but it is a high chance of probability that the feed lips are the problem on a mag sensitive luger? We all have a first tendency to tolerate feed lip spread as long as the bullet nose if pointed up? But this presents another issue that I wrote about earlier, and theat is the next round bullet nose is too high and it bumps the empty cartridge off the extractor claw before it gets to the ejector? When the lips are properly formed, the bullet will lay almost parallel to the top of the feed lips, just ever so slightly high at the nose. A flat nose pliers will do the adjustment nicely... Let me know, best, til....lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #42
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Bang on right GT ... I have found feed lip adjustment solves issues on many of my old mags.
It is an often ignored easy fix.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #43
Storm
User

So here is a question. Should I bend them to duplicate the Mec-Gar look? Bend in or out? Can you provide a picture of an original that is perfect to go off of?
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #44
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default proper angle

Hi Storm, I am terrible at pictures and trying to post them, but you can load a few rounds in the Mec-Gar and when looking at it from a profile view, just notice the bullet angle in comparison with the feed lip top edge angle.. they should be parallel, maybe just a skosh of the bullet front being a bit higher?? Make one of your problem mags hold the bullet the same way, same height, etc. and see if it helps?.. Best, til....lat'r.....GT....

BTW, field strip your Luger, remove the hold open and seat your mec-Gar mag in the frame just as you would if you were loading it. Pull down so that you are sure it is firmly on the mag catch, and see where the bullet sits when looking across (profile) in relation to the frame rails, or ramp, or any other frame referance you migh better use?.. Best, GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #45
Storm
User

Appreciate it!!
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote