LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
carl1000
User

Default Looking to buy, what do you guys think about this gun and price?

So I've been doing a lot of studying up on Lugers the past couple months. I'm looking at this gun in particular. Obviously, there are some questions I need to ask the seller. The magazine is the incorrect one I believe, he doesn't mention with the bore of looks like. I need to make sure the grips and all of the numbers really do match.

What do you guys think it looks like? Without a matching magazine, and everything looks like the rest of the gun. The numbers matching on everything else, does this seem too high of a price? Thanks for any help.

Gun here:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101503834
carl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,106 Times in 370 Posts

I would ask for more, and more detailed photos. Appears to be a nice gun. He says "good bore" in the description. Perhaps a little high on price, but the opinions on this board will differ from one response to the next. It's a common variation, but condition seems above average, providing it hasn't been "touched up". If I already didn't have a nice one like it, I would be interested at about 2200.00.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
Heinz
User

I am not an expert on WW2 Lugers but I suspect this is a reblue based on the color, the retaining pin on the rear toggle and the funky machining in the ears. But, best to wait for someone who knows these Mausers better than me. And better pictures.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

where are you from the Pennsylvania area ? any chance for a "touch and feel" before your commitment ?
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
carl1000
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaustin View Post
where are you from the Pennsylvania area ? any chance for a "touch and feel" before your commitment ?
Im in TN unfortunately. I asked about the grips, he said they have "S42" on them and thats it. I don't know if that is correct. But my red flag right now is, I asked him for more pictures and he did not send them. I'm going to continue to see if he will. It looks like he has good feedback. But so far communication has been very short for such an expensive pistol LOL. I asked him specific questions like, has it been touched up? And he didn't answer any of that. We will see.
Unread 08-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,587 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1000 View Post
Im in TN unfortunately. I asked about the grips, he said they have "S42" on them and thats it. I don't know if that is correct. But my red flag right now is, I asked him for more pictures and he did not send them. I'm going to continue to see if he will. It looks like he has good feedback. But so far communication has been very short for such an expensive pistol LOL. I asked him specific questions like, has it been touched up? And he didn't answer any of that. We will see.
IMO you have sufficient red flags to end any interest in that Luger. The price, IMO, is high. $2,500 should buy a near perfect Mauser Luger excepting the truly rare ones which that one is not.

For comparison, have a look at the Mauser Lugers that Simpson, Ltd has for sale. They are typically 20% or so over what most collectors would pay and $2,500 would buy you a very nice one from a dealer who guarantees what they sell.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 08-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
carl1000
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs View Post
IMO you have sufficient red flags to end any interest in that Luger. The price, IMO, is high. $2,500 should buy a near perfect Mauser Luger excepting the truly rare ones which that one is not.

For comparison, have a look at the Mauser Lugers that Simpson, Ltd has for sale. They are typically 20% or so over what most collectors would pay and $2,500 would buy you a very nice one from a dealer who guarantees what they sell.
Yeah, I agree. Also the guy just emailed me and told me he doesn't have any more pictures LOL. I'm not going forward with that.
Unread 08-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Buy reference books, then buy Lugers. It's better to go to Luger University than ask questions based on seller photos on a forum...

Failing that, only buy Lugers from established retail sellers with both a good reputation and a liberal return policy. Note that not every slick looking website represents a reputable dealer. Ask around before buying from any seller...

There is a value represented by the accumulated centuries of experience, investment in reference materials and study represented on a forum like this. Most members are generous with their time and opinions, and that is what helps make a constructive community. Be thankful for that generosity, but don't be dependent upon it.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 08-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Mister Sunshine
User

If the safety, trigger, and extractor are supposed to be straw colored, those are not. Looks like those parts are blue. It would make a nice shooter for less than half the asking price.
Mister Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1000 View Post
Yeah, I agree. Also the guy just emailed me and told me he doesn't have any more pictures LOL. I'm not going forward with that.
The seller is enough to create suspicion for me, I'd avoid any luger with a description that is based on the sellers extensive personal knowledge, as he usually describes his items.

Only luger I ever sent back was from Mr. Luger, but he did accept return and give me a refund.
Unread 08-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
carl1000
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
The seller is enough to create suspicion for me, I'd avoid any luger with a description that is based on the sellers extensive personal knowledge, as he usually describes his items.

Only luger I ever sent back was from Mr. Luger, but he did accept return and give me a refund.
Thanks for all the help. I have been studying a lot about Lugers the past couple months. But in my location, there none to handle in person. I have good experience in the "new" firearms, but older ones like these, I don't have much experience.

I have read a lot and watched many videos. I'm interested in the 1940 to 42 BYF models. I feel like my first purchase will be through one of the larger dealers with a good return policy. I just want to get an opinion if there is a glaring issue I missing. It seems the hardest thing could be to tell if one has been refinished. Could be easy to tell, could be hard to tell. I have been reading as much as I can about those "tells" as well. It's a lot to keep straight for sure. From serial numbers, magazine types, markings and suffixes, bore condition etc..
Unread 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #12
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,587 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sunshine View Post
If the safety, trigger, and extractor are supposed to be straw colored, those are not. Looks like those parts are blue. It would make a nice shooter for less than half the asking price.
The straw coloring of small parts was discontinued in the later production of 1937. Early 1937 Luger still had straw parts.

A 1940 Luger is correct with all blued parts.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 08-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Fla.Mallard
User

I saw a byf Luger for $1900 from a dealer in Delaware. It had few photos and just happened to leave out shots from the rear and didn't show any from the area where the toggle rides up.

I wrote and asked if it was a re-blue/refinish and the owner wrote back promptly and said he couldn't tell for sure. I thanked him for his honesty and crossed that one off my list.

If all dealers were reputable, it would be a happy day for me and everyone else in the marketplace.
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #14
Pistol
User

This is a well known seller for years, and his photos are always, and I mean always, terrible.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Pistol for your post: