LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default you own'em!

Hi to all, you know that sometime in your life, you're going to open the back door, and there he is, an un-named mutt, ugly, dirty, starving and probably sick on top of it all... Well, he was lucky enough to find you, or so you reason, and a couple of thousand dollars later with the vet, a bowl with his name on it, and of course a new name which he'll never answer to as we have already established, he's a mutt....
Well, so it is with Triple K Luger magazines! After many years of trying to avoid them, all if a sudden they're just there, and more pointedly, there on your gun bench! And, as un-aware as I am, all of a sudden there is a whole litter of them.
They defy description and are like no other Luger mag ever, and don't forget ugly? Up until recently I haven't had anything good to say about them, but one day I said, what the hell, lets make them better. So, I disassembled one, and could see the follower spring was the main issue, so I tossed the problem spring and replaced it with a Wolfe extra power box spring made for Mauser fxo type replacement. And back together it went, no other modifications! First thing i noticed was we now had a 7 round mag instead of 8? That didn't bother me so on to testing. The magazine worked great! Fit and fed reliably and actuated the hold open reliably as well... Ugly dog just got a, "good boy" and a treat... Training will continue!...Best to all,til...lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 17 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

And are you now open to modding the KKK mags???

I've never seen one. Do they have the Luger base pins? Two or one? Follower & base material? Overall finish?

How do they compare to Mec-Gar's latest?

Inquiring minds want to know...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Two pins, and a number of ugly spot welds across the rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210530-202441_Gallery.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	83265  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

They are put together by spot welding the side seams as opposed to crimping them. There seem to be follower-stopper crimps at the top. They use two rolled (tension) pins on their bottoms, not solid pins. Unless I'm mistaken, any single pin Luger mags were of Imperial, WWI, or Wiemar eras, basically before WWII kicked off and Haenel-Schmeiser became the standard OEM.

Triple K website lists 4 combinations of stainless or steel bodies, and wood or plastic bottoms. I'll bet they have always had plastic followers. Prices are about the same as what you can find a MecGar listed for, or maybe a bit higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triple K Magazine.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	83267  

Unread 05-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default just plain weird!

The KKK mags are best described by one of GT's life rules, and that is, " The same only different!" and by that I mean, they have certain features that seem to mimic the original design, but really have little or nothing to do with originality or relevancy to function?
Case in point, where the front and back mag halves are spot welded, it appears to have provisions for follower guides and stops, but none are there? So, why make two parts and weld? Mec-Gar on the other hand, folds and welds the complete mag, and they DO include the follower guide slots and follower stops where they probably never needed them at all?
The big difference is the parts are dimensionally close enough with the Mec-Gar so that original parts/can will interchange? The KKK no way!
Fortunately, the fxo spring pops right into the KKK mag and as mentioned earlier, they work! And, work well!
If members want to spruce up their KKK magazines, I will send you a Wolfe fxo spring for a minor charge?... Best to all, til....lat'e....GT...
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GT

Are the KKK mags marked as such?? Reason I ask, I have one Luger mag with ugly welds, and no name on it. I don't recall where I got it, or if I have ever tried to use it in one of my Lugers. It is not the equal of my other mags (OEM, Mauser, Denmark, Mec-Gar).
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Doc

I don't think they are marked and as far as I know they are un-changed all thru production.. It's hard to believe how much difference an fxo spring makes? But it really does? It's just that with the spot welds it just doesn't look lugerish? best, til....lat'r....GT
BTW, Doc, hey! I need to talk to you about some more 9mm dummy rounds with a few changes if we can swing them?... drop me an email so as i can write you back! gctomeks@msn.com best, GT
Unread 05-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

TKS Live And Learn Something!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote