LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
mystical_tutor
User

Default pricing help desired

I can't seem to find much help on pricing my two Navy Lugers. I plan to take them to a gun show this weekend and the only ones I have found online are Simpson's page. This may be largely due to my inability to find anything I want on the internet.

Is there a reliable source for such information.

Oh, and same problem with my '43 Krieghoff.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Gary, If you post photos here on the forum I'll be happy to help. I specialize in Navy Lugers.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Gary, I frankly think that the last place you will find accurate information about specialized Lugers like the Krieghoff and the Navy variation of Lugers is a local gun show, unless it is specifically oriented to collectors and some Luger experts will be there.

If you're pricing them to sell them, these online forums can help more, since people have deep expertise (like Norm above). If you're pricing them for insurance, look at sites like Legacy Collectables and Simpson's Ltd to get retail prices.

You will need well exposed detailed photos to get help online.

I honestly would not bother taking anything like you have to a general gun show. More risk in it than benefit.

Marc
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I wish I had Gary's problem!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
mystical_tutor
User

Thanks Norm, Marc and Jerry. I did post some pictures here before so If Ican remember how to do it I will again. I think there is a guide on here somewhere about it.

Unfortunately the trip to the gun show is because we need money for house repairs. It hurts to even think about it but I must.
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gary..Post photo's her if at all possible..send any you have here to me and I will see about posting them and give you an opinion.

My email is below

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
mystical_tutor
User

Well, here goes, Some pictures. I'm sure you will grant me some privecy, considering the NSA, China and some web browsers know everything that is put up here.

Very straight forward. A standard Navy '08.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	36020  

Name:	barrel bottomblot.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	36021  

Name:	Backstrapwhited.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	36022  

Name:	leftsideblot.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	36024  

Name:	rightside.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	36025  

Unread 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I can't seem to find much help on pricing..These photo's are of no use for your purpose!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
mystical_tutor
User

Sorry to bother, a photographer I am not. No use wasting your time with the others then.

Thanks anyway.

Gary
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Gary, You have what appears to be a very decent unit marked 1908 Navy. Before giving you a value I need to know if all parts are numbers matching and if the magazine is matching as well. I would appreciate the gun's full serial number and unit mark for my data base (the Navy List). You can email me at: normrab@comcast.net.
Regards, Norm
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
mystical_tutor
User

Norm, thanks for the response. I will email you the sn.
All parts that are numbered match. Those that are not numbered are: Firing pin (it is not fluted and looks like a standard '08 pin), Firing pin retainer, grip screws, extractor and hold open device. The mag does not match and is double numbered with a +(spare mag.).
The other Navy is a 1916 but has an oddity about it that I will explain in email. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gary
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #12
mystical_tutor
User

In the vain of pricing, have any of you had a look at this:

http://www.gundigeststore.com/2013-l...eference-u7330

If so, is it worth my money to get it as a guide, though the specific models I have are not listed.

Searching the web has not been fruitful.

Gary
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Gary, The parts you describe are supposed to be unnumbered on 08 Navies. I'm presently in Europe so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a few hours.
Regards, Norm
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

If you need money, I am sure you would make much more money here on the forum selling than you would at a gunshow.

I have no idea your location, but unless you go to one of the shows where some experts are, I can just about guarantee you that you will be offered probably 50-60% of real value. If you sold it on here at a 'bargain' you would still make money.

That said, your serial number is unlikely to be used and especially the unit markings by bad guys. There is a Krieghoff listing, Navy listing and Simson listing here on the forum or forum members.

Good description of all parts that are supposed to be numbered, condition, originality, and good pictures / under decent lighting with medium colored background, anyone can take good pictures. Say in in-direct sunlight slightly shaded or under a overhang or near a window good pictures can come out. My problem is usually that I rush myself in taking pictures.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_tutor View Post
In the vain of pricing, have any of you had a look at this:

http://www.gundigeststore.com/2013-l...eference-u7330

If so, is it worth my money to get it as a guide, though the specific models I have are not listed.

Searching the web has not been fruitful.

Gary
NO

You have specialized guns and Davis' book that this is made from has probably some better pricing than others, but he has many inaccuracies.

There are scores of gun shops around that have lugers and values. Some are listed here, others are stickies (beginning of each section of the forum, at the top of the pages) - just read the title and see if it is something that matches what you are trying to read about. You can also do the search option - try different words.

If you can't figure it out or don't trust on-line, then I suggest you take it to the gun show and someone will likely get a bargain
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
NO

You have specialized guns and Davis' book that this is made from has probably some better pricing than others, but he has many inaccuracies.

There are scores of gun shops around that have lugers and values. Some are listed here, others are stickies (beginning of each section of the forum, at the top of the pages) - just read the title and see if it is something that matches what you are trying to read about. You can also do the search option - try different words.

If you can't figure it out or don't trust on-line, then I suggest you take it to the gun show and someone will likely get a bargain
Thank you for your good advice. I have found some online dealers other than Simpson. A friend is helping me with this searching process. Problem, as stated at the start is there are few Navy's and even fewer Krieghoff's available for a pricing range. When I was on this board a year or two ago I found it very helpful, and did end up selling a couple pieces and finding something I really wanted. So, I'm back. I'll try picture taking again with the Krieghoff but hate to clutter your board with "worthless" pictures.

SN's. Quite frankly, I'm not sure who the "bad guys" are anymore or who they will be in the future. No one needs to know a SN to offer advice on value, unless that # is really unique or way out of some known range.

Thanks again and please keep the good advice coming.

Major Gary Adkison, (USA-RET)
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gary..No use wasting your time with the others then. Your not wasting our time..your wasting YOUR time. You are the one wanting some accurate pricing advice. Many people here are willing and able to help you but you have to help yourself.

Expensive Lugers are like coins..They must be seen and inspected to determine just what they are. Even one abnormality affects a price. You may have $30,000 in guns but they may be $5000 too. If you want to know from the many experts here..you will have to do your part. If you will not or cannot do your part..no one here can help even though we are willing.

Serial numbers are an important factor in your quest. Blocking them out of your photo's is no help at all. I can't figure out why anyone would do that. When you take these to a gun show any bubba you hand them to sees the serial number.

I'm not sure who the "bad guys" are anymore No one needs to know a SN to offer advice on value, What gives you this idea? Serial numbers on Lugers are one of the MAJOR items to determine value!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Gary, Kriegnoff and Navy Luger pistols are rather rare, and priced at a considerable premium if all is correct and they are collectable (original high percentage finish, all matching parts).

Because of the considerable premium in their prices, they are often faked. When you acquired these, that should have been clear to you. In fact, it surprised me that you would even consider marketing a very specialized Luger at a gun show unless you know experienced collectors will be there.

Navy Lugers were shipped in known serial number ranges, with well known characteristics. There are also specific characteristics that are found on Krieghoff Lugers of different periods. Detailed analysis of this information and well shot photos is the first step in determining authenticity. Many collectors will not make an offer on these without actually seeing them in person. If you look at sites like Simpson Ltd, it should be clear to you that thousands of dollars are at stake.

There is generally nobody at a local gun show that would consider offering you true value for one of your guns. They are not like more common Lugers. If I were to see one at a show, I would factor in the risk factor that they are often faked before making an offer, and a dealer won't take much if any risk.

Members at this board can help you determine authenticity and help with a market for them that will get you appropriate collector value. This will not be the retail value seen at the online dealer sites. They have to factor in overhead and the potential for problems with authenticity.

So... I understand that acute financial problems may be motivating you to sell your Lugers. Unfortunately, the need for analysis and verification will slow down acquisition by an experienced collector, and any other sale will likely involve compromise.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, and am not doubting what you have. Unfortunately I could not determine anything about authenticity from what you've posted either.
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
mystical_tutor
User

Gosh, fellows, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers about SNs. I agree that in a sale it is critical as to the value of the piece. I am not trying to get a down to the dollar price on these or an offer. I was just hoping to get a ball park figure to see what has happened while I have been out of Luger circulation. A general figure that I can adjust for aspects of the specific piece considering, condition, parts numbers, and how late it is on Sunday afternoon. In the cases at hand, the three Lugers under discussion all have normal numbers well inside of recorded ranges, Sam Costanzo for the Navies and Gibson for the Kreighoff (recoginzing that 42-44 dated pieces intermixed the number sequence).

Bubba at the gunshow may be connected and be able to run to his i-whatever and upload my number to the web, he may even want to take a picture with his i-whatever, in which case he better have a REAL good hold of it or I'll have it and the chip will be destroyed before he can respond. I recognize those dangers and will attempt to deal with them if I have to.
Uploading any SN from anything to the web is, IMHO, a real bad idea. I will not, however, talk down to you for your decision.

I think your counsel is well meant and I do appreciate it. I do hope we can be mature enough to respect differences of opinions--specially in this age of cybernetics.

I hope my photos of the Krieghoff are better, but if not, they are the best I have. I do not have the energy to dig out my Nikon FA, 35mm film, tripod, close up lens set and indirect lighting system. Mainly because I'd have to completely reeducate myself on how to use it.

Thanks again

Gary
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gary, So what I hear you saying is.. you are sure of their authentic all matching state and are a good judge of condition. If that is the case.. were I in your position..Is there a reliable source for such information? YES! I would buy myself a copy of "The Blue Book Of Gun Values" and simply look them up. This book will give you the "ball park" figure you want without the exposure you dread.
What is available here is much more in depth than you seem to require. Most people looking for information must give information. We have many like that who visit but I believe they are mostly asking because they know nothing about what they have. Their pistols must be laid bare so information can be obtained by gleaning it. I was just hoping to get a ball park figure to see what has happened while I have been out of Luger circulation.
Your solution is "The Blue Book Of Gun Values".

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)