LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 10-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #61
alvin
User

Most MG demanding high price on the U.S. market are actually common guns in the world. Even a super common AK-47 or clones (made over 100 million??, way more common than SKS) bears 5 digit price tag simply because the supply was cut in the "walled garden"..... I bet it's dirt cheap in the Middle East, as reflected in the movie "Lord of War" Same is true for M-16, MP-5, etc, etc, etc. Unlike those, this COLT Walker (don't know what it is) must be rare ANYHERE in the world. For 920k, it has to be, it has no other choice
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #62
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

From Wikipedia---

The Walker Colt followed the first successful Colt Revolver, the Paterson model produced between 1836-42. The Republic of Texas was the major purchaser of the early revolver and Samuel Walker became familiar with it during his service as a Texas Ranger. In 1847, Walker was engaged in the Mexican-American War as a captain in the United States Mounted Rifles. He approached Samuel Colt requesting a large revolver to replace the single shot Aston Johnson holster pistols in use. The 44-.45 caliber revolver would be carried in saddle mounted holsters and would be large enough to dispatch horses as well as enemy soldiers. The Walker Colt was almost sixteen inches long and weighed 4 pounds nine ounces. The initial contract called for 1,000 of the revolvers and accouterments. Colt commissioned Eli Whitney Junior to fill the contract and produced an extra 100 revolvers for private sales and promotional gifts. The Walker Colt was used in the Mexican-American War and on the Texas frontier.

Here are photos of the $920.000 Colt Walker revolver... and it's source URL:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot....oric-colt.html

an additional photo of the Colt Walker...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #63
P. J. Heck
User

10-4, Alvin........ I once had a reeeeeal Russian AK paratrooper.......Paid the grand sum of $125. for it. An east coaster knew I had it and kept upping his offer. I let it go for $7500!!!!! Whatta reckin it is worth today????

Thanks, John.........I thought my source was right on, my wife reminded me that I hear so poorly that I shouldnt repeat anything!!!!!! Will check closer next (???) time........

Back to the '06 Navy; should any commercial Navy show the 'altered safety' process???? Anyone out there have a commercial with 'altered safety'?????? How about a commercial without???
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #64
alvin
User

P.J. -- Good for you. Good for many lucky collectors.

At the beginning (not too long ago), I loved assault rifles. Unfortunately, I found those guns that I loved were not "real" -- all of them are semi-auto, AK, AR, PPSH etc. The orignal design was selective fire or full auto, but ...... As soon as I started looking for workaround, I found (1) Real assault rifles are available, but they are super expansive; (2) The local law does not like it and owner must be MG licensed. So I gave up. Surprisingly, the sun never sinks on this part of the earth, even semi-auto rifles could be assault type, and I have to pay extra for nothing. That effectively kills my love affair with modern military rifles.

====

John -- Thanks for the info on the Walker!
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #65
P. J. Heck
User

Default MGs

Never say never!!!!!!!! I am looking at a set of British Mk 1's, their version of the US 1919 mixed in with ANM 2 features.....and in .303....these are 1500 rpms in l & r twin mount...$35,000. Tough to do on retirement wages!!!!!! I will swing it however.

In 1988 I bought 44 machine guns as I knew retirement was coming and the prices had already started to escalate since the 1986 cut off in May of that year. I also bought several Lugers and other assorted guns, as I have every year since. I should have stayed with the MG's.........I could have bought all that other stuff when I could no longer afford (now!!!) MG prices. Wife is a big time enthusiast, loves MG's and never flinches when I plunk down $30,000. for one. $30,000's are getting very hard to come by now. In fact, more than a few times she had me to go back and get something I was undecided about. Never regretted that either!!!!

I will try a picture here for you, if you want more, email me and I will 'reply' them to you, easier for me. heckinohio@hypercon.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 1696.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	3322  

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #66
alvin
User

P.J. -- I post a new topic in "General Discussion" regarding MG. A few questions.... could you please take a look? Thanks!