Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

The value does go down, not as much for the grips, as the SSN. This is not that uncommon, but a disappointment to find. I assume that it is marked on the edge, so they can only be seen when you take the grips off?

I should say, the desirability goes down to many collectors, thus value. I have a really nice 1911A1 Remington Rand that has a Texas License number on the frame, underneath, but more obvious than your situation. It did make it now a low end collectability to most folks.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #22
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Lead balloon comes to mind...Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #23
Dante Di Pietro Jr.
User

As long as the SSN is under the grip it wouldnt bother me, as for the grips those are not 11s but some other marking maybe to aid in assembley, the grips look like they have been on the gun forever. I myself would not be too concerned.
My unbiased opinion is I think you should sell me the Navy because I dont have one.
Now you need a stock, holster, pouch, correct mag. etc., if you sold me the navy then you wouldnt have to worry about such matters.
Nice navy, thanks for sharing
Dante
Dante Di Pietro Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Dante,
I like your comments and attitude. Obviously you are a person for whom the glass is half full rather than half empty. Seasons Greetings!
Unread 12-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #25
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ron, as an armchair mechancal engineer (the result of a past life) , my concept is that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #26
cool steel
User

I like Danteâ??s attitude about such things as well. Dante, where were you when I was selling my Jeep?

And as to the glass being half full/empty. Provided you have a good chaser, whatâ??s the difference.
cool steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #27
Dante Di Pietro Jr.
User

The Grips and the SSN just dont bother me too much, if it was a byf or a 1940 42 then I would be more descriminating. I really mis my navys, I kick myself every day for letting go of them. Im on the lookout for an honest navy and will pay market price, also have some nice trading items G43s, 98ks, P38 AC40 1st vara., etc.
Good chatting with you all,
Dante
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #28
Navy
RIP

Hi Dante,

I have some navy guns...perhaps we should correspond.

And, Ron Wood, pls empty your mailbox; have a favor to ask.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #29
Dante Di Pietro Jr.
User

Tom
Sounds good.
Dante
Unread 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #30
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Tom,
I deleted some of my mailbox entries so it should work now. You can always email direct to rwood1@elp.rr.com
Unread 12-26-2006, 05:29 AM   #31
Big Norm
RIP

Cool,
sorry I am so late in getting back with you. I would ignore the 'elevens' on the grips. I cannot imagine them having any significance. The '2' may just be an inspectors mark. The SSN may be a different story and I would have to see it to see if it would have any or much price significance at all.

For your information, Ron Wood is correct in stating that Jan Stills reported fewer chamber dated 1916 navy Lugers than 1917 chamber dated navies. But Jan Stills also reported a number of chamber dated 1918 navies. I have never seen a legitimate chamber dated 1918 navy. To my knowledge, all of the chamber dated 1918's that have been reported have had their chamber dates challenged. I believe that the model number 1914's that were made in 1918 were manufactured under a 1916 navy contract and, therefore, had that contract year impressed on the chamber. So the number of model number 1914 manufactured in 1918 would have to be added to the number reported as 1916 chamber date to measure the scarity/rarity. But its meaningless to discuss numbers manufactured because ALL navy Lugers are highly desirable.

Also remember that I was the first to make a bonified cash offer for your navy and my original offer still stands
Your very good friend, Big Norm
Unread 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #32
cool steel
User

Thanks so much Norm for the additional information. It still amazes me the amount of data available for an item that is approaching 100 years of age.

Well over the Christmas holiday I had an opportunity to speak with my uncle on all the statistics of this particular piece and explain as best I could the significance of all the markings and general condition of the gun. He was quite impressed and fascinated, and it shocked me what he asked next. â??So how do I go about selling it?â?

I must admit that I was a bit surprised that he would want to part with such an item, but apparently his appreciation for long guns outweighs his kinship with this piece.

He has asked me to see if I could place it on auction. I am a bit leery about selling something that I donâ??t know much about. Are any of you familiar with any auction sites which operate similar to eBay that cater to guns? If so, any help would be appreciated.

Given the fact that some of you have provided me a great deal of information, I would definitely consider any offers from those on this forum as well. Of course Big Norm gets first crack.

Ron, I live in Albuquerque which is as you know a short 4 hour jaunt from El Paso. I would not mind a bit to take a little trip down to meet you and ask you to inspect the piece if you or anyone else on the forum is interested.

Please let me know via PM or e-mail at coolsteel@comcast.net

Thanks,

Paul
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #33
MFC
User

Hi Paul,
I sent you a PM.
Unread 01-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #34
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Paul,
I will be in Albuquerque next week (the evening of the 10th). I will send you an email with my cell phone number and you can reply to it with your phone number. Perhaps if I don't get into town too late we can work out a meeting. I will be leaving the next morning with some friends to go to the Kansas City show.
Ron
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #35
Big Norm
RIP

Hey Cool, why not keep the gun for yourself? Its a good keepsake as well as a good investment. Now that you know something about it, you can do a lot of bragging too. Bragging is good, especially if you have it. You are also in a select crowd if you have it. I would give a cold Samual Adams to be there when the venerable Ron Woods looks at it. The guy knows his stuff.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #36
cool steel
User

A cold Sam Adams eh? A man with good taste.

Believe me, if it was in my means to take it off his hands, I would do it in a second. I believe he is looking for funds to expand his business in the short term and probably would not consider an installment plan from me.

Perhaps after meeting up with Ron, I will be convinced that it would be in my best interest to do what I can to acquire the piece myself, even if I have to sell something. I wonder where my wife keeps her jewelry box.
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #37
Big Norm
RIP

Cool,
I am on diet (remember the big in Big Norm), so I only have a Samual Adams when I go out for a broiled fish dinner with a baked potato. (Its surprising how many times I go out for a fish dinner.) Don't sell your wives jewelry, thats a good investment too. Sell the wife. That way you may be able to get yourself an original navy stock and a navy holster and maybe have enough left over to get a fish dinner with a little adult, cold abide on the side.
Big Norm

P.S.
On second thought, keep the wife. With prices the way they are for original navy stocks and holsters, you wouldn't have enough left over for the fish dinner. Hum-m-m But you may have enough for the Samual Adams. I'll have to think more about that.
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote