LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 07-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #21
Ron Smith
User

The GA example has a "two position" rear sight? Evidently when the toggle is closed counts as one position. When it's open is the second position??
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #22
Parabellus
User

I finally found a Navy that I can (almost) afford. I was at my favorite toy store (KrausewerK). I had inquired with Mike Krause about putting together a mock-Navy-style shooter not unlike Ron Smithâ??s.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

He pointed out that he had this Model 1914 which he could not offer as a collectorâ??s piece but could be just what I was looking for. The reasons are that it is not an all-original matching piece. â??It is what it is,â?? as I have been told. It is a shooter, a 1917 DWM Model 1914 with replaced side-plate and sight-slider. Iâ??m sure it has been refinished. The grips don't match (each other). Nevertheless the rear sight looks correct. The barrel matches. The Crown/Ms are nested. I'll get some pictures if I can. I made a small down payment to reserve it until I can pay it off.

Now the catch. At the same time I reserved a Wartime Commercial 7.63mm C96 all matching including stock. This will lengthen the pay-off time. The Broomhandle is a bit less expensive than the Navy so I could have it sooner if I decide to pay it off first.
Decisions, decisions.

Russell
Unread 08-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #23
Parabellus
User

Mike let me photograph the item in his store.
I wonder about the rear toggle pin flange. Is it correct? Could it be that the entire rear sight & toggle have been replaced?
And yes, the left grip has â??the chipâ??

I truly appreciate any observations and comments on this, soon-to-be-mine, Navy shooter.

Russell
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #24
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Russell,

Since you ask--the inspector marks and proof on the right receiver and the small flange toggle pin reveal this gun's origin as an Army weapon.

The outline profile of the rear sight, the modern machining marks, and the slider's fit at the front where it recesses into the rear toggle reveal it as a modern reproduction.

The constant stroke widths and rounded ends of the grip-strap number are characteristic of pantograph rounting--if you remove the whitening you will probably find router-end swirling in the strokes.

It would be instructive for us all if you could post closeup, detailed views of the left receiver, breechblock, left barrel, and under-barrel markings.

If you paid a decently moderate shooting gun price for this it should be great fun to shoot and show off at the range.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #25
Jan C Still
User

Russell
Maybe I missed something. It appears that photograph 2 shows the left receiver with a Navy crown and two C/Ms. Photograph 5 shows the standard three acceptance stamps and a test proof used by the Army on the right receiver. The frame serial number in photograph 5 is 3245 which is consistent with the parts serial numbers of 45 in the other photographs.

If I have not made a mistake, your photographs show a receiver with Navy proofs on the left side and Army proofs on the right side. Have never observed such an Army/Navy receiver.
Thanks for the interesting photographs.
Jan
Jan C Still is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #26
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I think Dwight has said it all, the rear sight looks like a reproduction, the grip strap marking is very questionable, the Navy acceptance stampings are just plain weird on an army gun. The 1917 stampings are probably fake and the barrel as well.

Russell, if your gun budget is such that you must put this pistol on layaway it would indicate a sacrifice on your part. This pistol does not warrant such a sacrifice.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #27
Parabellus
User

Thank you very much Dwight, Jan, & George.

I'm glad I put this up for review. I hope to get more and better pictures next week to detail the Navy proofs, etc. The Army markings are something I will be asking Mike about.

Sacrifice (ie. needing to lay away) is not a problem when it comes to these guns. I definitely want one that I can shoot. This is my 'reality check'. In any case I plan to pick up the Broomhandle first. So I have lots of time to consider my options.

Thanks again,

Russell
Unread 08-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
Parabellus
User

Thank you very much Dwight, Jan, & George.

I'm glad I put this up for review. I hope to get more and better pictures next week to detail the Navy proofs, etc. The Army markings are something I will be asking Mike about.

Sacrifice (ie. needing to lay away) is not a problem when it comes to these guns. I definitely want one that I can shoot. I know that $2Gs is a lot for a shooter but cheap for a real Navy Luger. This is my 'reality check'. In any case I plan to pick up the Broomhandle first for a bit less $1.75Gs. So I have lots of time to consider my options.

Thanks again,

Russell
Unread 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #29
Pete Ebbink
User

What does "SAR" signify ?

BTW...toggle pin flange does not look right and the photo of the left-side proofs need better resolution, as the proofs look odd in the photo provided.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #30
Pete Ebbink
User

Russell,

There are "deals" out there from time to time on REAL Navy lugers, albiet refinished. This is one the Simpson shop had for sale at $ 2500 but I see is on hold with a customer now :

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=4449

If you decide to change your mind about this piece but cannot get out of the lay-away, maybe the seller will allow you to transfer your lay-away dollars to another piece that he might have for sale that would hold some collector and investment value for you in the future.
Unread 08-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #31
Garfield
User

Russell:

"I know that $2Gs is a lot for a shooter but cheap for a real Navy Luger."

IMHO, this is NOT a real Navy; it is a bogus piece of crap offered at an exorbitant price. As Pete Ebink pointed out, although you might pay a bit more for an original "shooter" you will have something of value. If you just want a bogus Navy "shooter" you can find one for less than the one you a contemplating buying.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #32
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Garfield!

Welcome back to the Lugerforum Bill Garrison... I know you have been active over on Jan Still's forum... but your expertise is very welcome here... within the rules that have not changed since your last post in September of 2002... despite belief to the contrary... you were never banned... just warned...

It has been many moons since you graced us with your input... I for one hope you choose to visit often...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #33
Parabellus
User

Thank you Pete,

Your thoughtful insights are always welcome. I'm glad I brought this before the Forum for coment. Your suggestions are good. I'm glad I was allowed to photograph it and bring it before the Forum. Now I have a better perspective. No one was ever injured by having a little cold water thrown on his overheated enthusiasm. Iâ??m sure I can eventually find a Navy piece to pass inspection though it may be too expensive to dare to shoot. I am very reluctant to buy anything off an auction or online store, especially from out of state. I want to see it and touch it. At a gun show I would be at the mercy of whomever without an expert along.

Thanks again, all, for all your help.

Russell
Unread 09-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #34
Garfield
User

JS:

Your warm welcome is duly noted. My post on this thread was made at the behest of a friend. Should I decide to make future contributions to this forum, I will make every effort to acquaint myself with your rules.

garfield
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #35
Big Norm
RIP

Russell,
I'm afraid that I have to agree with everyone else here. $2K is a lot of AFTER TAX molla to pay for a shooter. Get out of this deal, if you can. There is alway another deal that will come along.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #36
Parabellus
User

Well, Mike is not obligating me to this purchase. He agrees that a less controversial Navy could come along in my price range anyway. For my part, I am still skittish about buying anything like this over the net or by mail.
I will be buying his Wartime Commercial C96, I think. Coming soon to a Forum near you.

Thanks for all the help, Guys.

Russell
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #37
Pete Ebbink
User

Russell,

You might want to visit the Greg Martin auction preview days in SF, CA to look over this offering. Holster is a $ 30 repro, but the re-finished M1908 Navy might be worth a closer, in-person look over :

http://67.155.195.3:8050/FMPro?-db=G...ID=47867&-find
Unread 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #38
Parabellus
User

Thank you Pete,

Sure is worth a trip into The City to have a closer look. Will you be there in November?

Meanwhile, Mike Krause says he has an alternative piece coming in for me to look at soon. For now, I expect to take delivery on the Broomhandle in a week or so.

Russell
Unread 09-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #39
Tomathvl
User

Pete,
The C/M's look funny on that one .
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #40
Ron Smith
User

Tac,

Are you trying to imply that this pistol may not be legimate?

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote