LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-18-2002, 11:33 PM   #1
conchojack
User

Cool Fuzzy Sight Picture

With my progressive lenses, I have the choice of seeing my Luger's sights clearly or the target clearly. Focusing on either makes the other fuzzy. To see the sights clearly, I have to tape the glasses high up on my forehead. Other than very special glasses, have any of you found a solution to this problem?
conchojack
Unread 09-19-2002, 11:21 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
The "very special glasses" are the solution Dale.

You should work with your optometrist on the depth of focus you need. The glasses will not be inexpensive...

The other alternative is to limit your shooting distance to what you can see... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Thor
User

With my progressives, I just tilt my head back a bit to focus on the front sight. The front sight focus appears to be the most important location to focus on and I am getting GREAT results out to 25 yds as my recent targets show. I also see great closer than arms length so I remove my glasses usually when working as long as I am not doing somethign that risks my eyes, then I put them back on or wear safety goggles. When I was actively shooting in the bowling pin competitions I would use the head tilt method to see the sights through the mid section (or slightly lower) the lens. Worked for me but it does look a little goofy. The target is always fuzzy, but if the groups are good, I can live with that.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2002, 02:08 PM   #4
unspellable
User

You want the front sight sharp, let the rear sight and target land where they may.

You want the glasses to protect your eyes, most glasses, even safety glasses, are not qualified as shooting glasses. Real honest to God shooting glasses will mean a prescription pair from scratch. Nine tenths of the optomitrists out there won't have a clue.

Cheap fix: If you have an older second pair of glasses to play with, go to the drugstore. You can buy little non-prescription paste on lenses intended to add a bifocal feature to non-prescription sunglasses. You will want a strength of 1.25 or 1.50 diopter for shooting a handgun. Locate the spot in the distance area of your glasses (only one side) where you can see the sights without getting a crick in your neck and past the little lens in that spot. Throw the other one away. (Or mail it to me, I can fix up another pair.)

If your distance vision needs very little correction you can do this trick using a pair of non-prescription shooting glasses or a pair of goggles.

If fuzziness in the rear sight or target are really bothering you, paste on a little black ring like a note book paper hole reinforcement. The smaller the central hole, the greater the depth of field, but also the harder to find your sights.

Tacky and unrefined, but oh, so cheap!

unspellable
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote