LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Georgesd
User

Default not able to upload photos

For the past 2 days I cannot upload photos of my Luger. Not sure if the issue is with the site r on my end. Can anyone advise?
Thanks,
George
Georgesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

George, how large are your photo's?

And have you read the newer how-to's?

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Georgesd
User

Thanks again Ed. You were right. My jpg files were over 2 MG. Thanks to the forum I learned ho to resize the files for posting here.
George
Georgesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
greygrouse
User

Lads,
I'm limited by a wind-up (... I mean DIAL-up) connection.
I'd like to post some photos for info and giggles. Haven't tried anything yet for fear of freezing my computer.
Is there a protocol/method for posting photos?? Do you have to use photobucket or similar??
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
greygrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Mike, you just crop, then shrink them down and post here.

Once you've done it a few times, it's easy.

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygrouse View Post
Lads,
I'm limited by a wind-up (... I mean DIAL-up) connection.
I'd like to post some photos for info and giggles. Haven't tried anything yet for fear of freezing my computer.
Mike - I too am on a dial-up connection. I've found that by shrinking my pics to 800 x 600 or even 640 x 480 I can upload them without timing out (one at a time). If you have a smartphone, you can also try the 'Tether' app to connect your PC to the Net via the phone. (But don't go on GB with Tether running - it's banned on GB).

I go to the local library [WiFi] to download large files (like Windows 8 ISO).

It is also advised that all members attach your pics (not link) to your thread/post here on LugerForum...Some of our more knowledgeable members are behind corporate/government firewalls that filter out [read block] PhotoBucket, YouTube, TinyPic, SmugMug, etc.

There are a couple threads on how to attach elsewhere on this forum. And Hey - This forum even has a Search function...Very few people know this...It's the Big Secret of Lugerforum...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

get a faster connection

From a friend, LAST year, I actually had a HUGE fall out and he refuses to speak to me because I suggested other alternatives - and he cold get broadband, he refuses, said that it costs too much, yet he collects artys and navies.

And yes, when I lived in Palouse, WA, I was not only told no, but hell no you will never get cable. So, I got satellite, which is an alternative (and costs money) but its 3 times faster than dial suck

Another alternative that I am not suggesting is that you see what neighbors have open connections for wifi, but now the wifi boxes come easy to set up security, so that is harder.

AND Etats Unis / surely your security concerns and paranoia are not so bad that you can't put in a state?

Ed

Unread 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
get a faster connection

From a friend, LAST year, I actually had a HUGE fall out and he refuses to speak to me because I suggested other alternatives
I have no problem with suggested alternatives, and am still open to options...Just that none are practical in my rural area...I could write a long thread on getting/waiting on cable install lists, town ordinances against tree trimming for sat connection (only two sats visible at 35º above the horizon), DSL only available with the bundle that I have no need for but can't get anyway being more than three miles from the telco 'office', no FIOS in my area, local telco still upgrading from aluminum lines to copper, specific operating system required by broadband provider (no Linux!), local weather limiting sat connections...Lots more...

I keep investigating new ways to connect; the Tether is a good example, but I am limited to 5GB per month with that...And GB will suspend my account [again!] if I use it on their site...

Quote:
AND Etats Unis / surely your security concerns and paranoia are not so bad that you can't put in a state?
Sorry...It was my feeble attempt at humor...

Edit: Here's an interesting thread on the webmaster's forum about percentage of users still on dial-up and why...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/webmaster/4087174.htm

It's still not clear how many aren't on broadband connections (or can't get it) or where these numbers come from...Is it 35% of the general population??? 35% of telephone users??? Or 35% of the surveyed households extrapolated to the general populace???

Quote:
And yes, when I lived in Palouse, WA, I was not only told no, but hell no you will never get cable.
Edit2: It gets worse...Cable [here] and telco connections are competing...telco [Verizon at the moment; but they change/get bought every year or so) now offers Internet access, and Time Warner Cable offers Internet phone...

Right now, the telco [Verizon] only offers bundling, Cable offers bundling too - with different levels of TV coverage...Gold, Silver, and Bronze 'packages'...Verizon won't break up their bundle, and you can only lease the equipment...The base cost for either will run about ~$300+ per month (if they will even install it at my address)...Dial-up costs me $16 month for the server plus ~$52 month for phone service...

I used to beta test for Microsoft [free O/S's!] which was a big incentive for my getting broadband, but now my dial-up server offers to download my beta ISO's via their Fractional T1 connection so I don't have to...

If I can get broadband for what I'm paying for dial-up (or a reasonable amount extra), I'll get it...

I don't have enough information yet but I think if I got a tablet PC with integrated cell phone (like my BlackBerry has) I could use that for internet access and ditch my dial-up ISP...And my BlackBerry...

Last edited by sheepherder; 08-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I have no problem with suggested alternatives, and am still open to options...Just that none are practical in my rural area...I could write a long thread on getting/waiting on cable install lists, town ordinances against tree trimming for sat connection (only two sats visible at 35º above the horizon), DSL only available with the bundle that I have no need for but can't get anyway being more than three miles from the telco 'office', no FIOS in my area, local telco still upgrading from aluminum lines to copper, specific operating system required by broadband provider (no Linux!), local weather limiting sat connections...Lots more...

I keep investigating new ways to connect; the Tether is a good example, but I am limited to 5GB per month with that...And GB will suspend my account [again!] if I use it on their site...

Sorry...It was my feeble attempt at humor...

Edit: Here's an interesting thread on the webmaster's forum about percentage of users still on dial-up and why...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/webmaster/4087174.htm

It's still not clear how many aren't on broadband connections (or can't get it) or where these numbers come from...Is it 35% of the general population??? 35% of telephone users??? Or 35% of the surveyed households extrapolated to the general populace???
I understand

On this forum it is not a big deal, on Jan's forum, he wants all members to have state or if out of the USA their country. I have been tempted more than once to ban (temp) everyone who insists on putting in USA

Sometimes I just want to be bad and play by the rules, weird I know ....
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Sometimes I just want to be bad and play by the rules, weird I know ....
To be frank, I sometimes wonder why you don't smack down the more annoying posters here...(besides me, I mean)...

There's not a day go by that a question isn't asked that would take maybe 15 seconds tops by reading the FAQ...

And there seems to be only a few of us able to use the Search function...

And no matter how many times it is mentioned, even long time users persist in linking pics via PhotoBucket/SmugMug/TinyPic/Google...Even though they know that the very people that could answer their questions can't see them while at work...

And real names and locations [Guilty!] seem to be something new members feel is unnecessary invasion of privacy...

I'm sure there are other annoyances that I've missed...And I'm guilty sometimes too...(Like discussions in the For Sale forum)...

Who can think of some I've missed???

(Excuse me while I check my profile at Jan's to see what I filled in...)

Ah! It's OK, but I updated my work history...BTW, I'm 'sonnyboy' over there...