LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-21-2001, 03:05 PM   #1
denfoote

Default New Luger

I got a Luger!! Well, not exactly. It's a reproduction. A Mitchel Arms stainless American Eagle. But it shoots, it dosen't jam, and I like it!!! I know all you "collectors" and "purist" types are probably tearing your collective hair out by now!!! (he he he)

Unread 10-21-2001, 03:49 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: New Luger

Cool!

I do love the history and feel of an old Luger, but I wouldn't mind getting a stainless Mitchel Arms Luger. Next year one of the companies might be coming out with a .45 Luger and that really interests me.

I have wanted to shoot one of those stainless puppies for a long time now!

Good to hear you have one, and keep up on the list!

Ed

Unread 10-21-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
Thor
User

denfoote, we have talked long and hard about these SS Lugers. Most love them or hate them, very little middle grounders. There is a nice write up in the owners corner section by Jerry Boyles "INOX Luger". As far as 66Mustang's comment about a new 45, this is the first I have heard of this. Is this a rumor or something that was stated by Stoeger/Aimco to a gun magazine? The only 45 Luger I know being made is by Krausewerke at $15k a copy. I think it would be very expensive to start making them but I would pay a grand for one if they were indeed available from AIMCO. The thought of shooting bowling pin competition (I used to do this some) with a 45 Luger REALLY appeals to me! Do you hear anything about what they would cost? I do think they might sell a few if the were in the $700-$1100 range. ~Thor~

Unread 10-21-2001, 04:20 PM   #4
Thor
User

Default Re: Hugh Clark/AIMCO TOGGLE KNURLING

Hugh, I know you have reknurled/recheckered the sides of the carbon steel toggle knobs on the Baby Lugers you are making but does the metallurgy of SS make it difficult to recut? The main thing I didnt find appealing about the SS Aimcos was the basket weave type stamped "knurling" pattern. I much prefer the cut uniform pattern of the original P.08s. ~Thor~

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
66mustang

Default AIMCO .45?

I was e-mailing a gentleman on the list and he said this...(I don't think he'd mind me paraphrasng him)

"...found out about the .45 when I talked to the president of the company, AIMCO in Houston Texas. ... should be out in about a year. ...hopes to have a prototype at some big show for manufactures comming up. It should be between $900 and $1200. That is as close to an estimate as he would go. He also said for $1295.00 he would build an artilery but it has about a 3-4 month lead time. "

I think it sounds really cool, and hopefully will be forthcoming!

Ed

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:54 PM   #6
Milt Keller
User

Hey, good for you!!! I'm jealous!

I have a couple of 1916 Lugers and would still love to have one of those. Happy shooting!

Milt Keller

Unread 10-21-2001, 09:32 PM   #7
denfoote

Thanks guys!!!

In all fairness, this gun came to me slightly used. It was Mark M's first Luger. I was the one who found it for him while grazing a gunshop in AZ. The gun was useless at first. It was not put together right. It went off by itself one day while shooting in the desert. Several trips to the gunsmith could not cure it. Over time, it was given the handle "Paperweight"!!! Then, Mark heard of Aimco in TX. After months of correspondance and negotiation, Aimco agreed to rebuild the gun. It came back as flawless as a Luger can be. Mark says that it is a replica of a 1936 Mauser. Get ready for a mulitiude of questions!!!! Lugers are weird. Weird, but nice!!!

Unread 10-21-2001, 09:53 PM   #8
stymie
User

Default Does anyone know...

if the newer AIMCO Lugers will function w/ Mec-Gar mags or are you restricted to OEM? Is the optional blackened finish durable... are any of the parts *strawed*? Have they gone to grip safetys on these? Do they have the stock lug & are they capable of accepting a stock? (all NFA rules apply!) I have a Portugese BYF '42 parked, a '42 Mauser Banner Police L w/ sear safety & an Interarms Mauser Parabellum w/ 6" bbl. I was thinking that an AIMCO might round out my small but rather enjoyable collection.

Unread 10-21-2001, 11:44 PM   #9
Hugh
RIP

Tedy Thor,I ain't tryd chekin no (fogiv me fo sayn hit)staynles steal. Normaly ss is hardr then carbon steel but hit depins on tha temperin. I wud suspec thet gun type ss wud b sof enuf to cheker.

Unread 10-22-2001, 07:36 AM   #10
Marvin
User

Hugh,

If you ever attempt to checker stainless steel, just be sure the tool is very sharp or the ss will tend to "smear" instead of cut clean. In my machine shop days, we would use carbide cutters, or ceramic tooling at high speed to get a nice finish on ss. If you used high speed steel cutters, they must be sharp, and take small cuts. I am probably preaching to the chior telling you this since you are the "Master" Luger machinest.

Marvin

Unread 10-22-2001, 09:41 AM   #11
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default Re: Does anyone know...

I talked to AIMCO about a week ago and they stated that they had halted all production for now, as I want one of their Lugers to shoot.

Tim

Unread 10-22-2001, 11:08 AM   #12
66mustang

Default Re: Does anyone know...

Bummer, oh well, so much for rumors that I WANT to hear...

ed

Unread 10-22-2001, 12:28 PM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Did AIMCO say why they had halted production Tim? (EOM)

Unread 10-22-2001, 02:26 PM   #14
Thor
User

Default Re: Did AIMCO say why they had halted production Tim?

Perhaps they were installing new tooling for that 45, how about a baby Luger while we are wishing, yeah......right! Thor

Unread 10-22-2001, 02:44 PM   #15
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default Re: Did AIMCO say why they had halted production Tim?

Romo from AIMCO stated that they had halted production for six to eight weeks and call him back. I was interested in purchaseing a new stainless luger. He just said to call him back in about a month and a half. Could it be possible that maby they are retooling for the .45................?

Tim

Unread 10-22-2001, 11:24 PM   #16
mlm

I am one "purist/collector" that loves the Aimco and any other "new" luger. What possible bad can come from a new luger? It protects old lugers from being worn or damaged and enables the continuance of a pistol type that is just wonderful to shoot.