LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-15-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
Don
User

Default Wow! I was speechless!

I saw my artillery in progress at Thor's over the weekend, and I was dumbfounded! SPEECHLESS, which is a rare occurence for me! It was beautiful. The man is an artist!

My fiancee had wanted to take a long weekend Albuquerque to see the balloon festival. I had an ulterior motive, to meet Ted Green in person and I was lucky enough so that our trip corresponded with his work on my 1915 arty. Wow, was I stunned. I had found the gun in a gunshop in Austin earlier this year, and she was down to white steel, except where some bozo had tried to cold blue the barrel, and it looked like a camo pattern. Tom Heller put in a new breechblock and installed a new barrel, and Ted has made her into a beauty. The blue is deep and rich, and the strawing looks like fine gold jewelry.

I'm already talking to Ted about our next "project," and I predict that his work will be valuable someday as collectors's items.

Unread 10-15-2001, 11:25 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Wow! I was speechless!

Thank you Don, always a pleasure to have someone over as nice as you guys! Thanks for making our day! ~Thor~

Unread 10-16-2001, 11:41 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Yanno... we talk about forgeries...

where someone has altered a serial number, small part number or proof stamp. Well I agree with you, in time Ted's work may be so sought after, we'll have to be concerned about people forging Ted's rework stamp!!!

Dok

Unread 10-16-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
BILL
User

Default Re: Yanno... we talk about forgeries...

Talking about forgeries, I am in the market for some really good ( I mean excellent) forgeries. They must be so good that they fool the experts. They must also be under $450 each (Navy and Artillery models are forgeries are preferred).

Unread 10-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #5
tom h

Default Re: Exotic forgeries

Since new repro LPO8 barrels with rear sight are selling for about $400 plus at least $100 for installation, and Naval rear sights are more than that, I suspect that your $450 max offer, should be raised a bit. I'd buy all I could get under $800 for parts, if excellent. Tom h

Unread 10-16-2001, 08:32 PM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: Exotic forgeries-Missed the Boat

Tom, I knew the new 8" barrels were available, but I had no idea you could get a repro rear sight (I assume the proper tangent 800 M type) are also! This is good news indeed! I might have to build one for me! ~Thor~

Unread 10-17-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
BILL
User

Default Re: Exotic forgeries..

Since the 'WTB' exotic forgeries was mentioned in jest I hope no one takes any offense. It is interesting, though, that we often hear the term 'forgery' used but even a poor rework on an inherently valuable Luger does not render it worthless. The problem is that once an original Luger has had a 'restoration' or any rework that renders it 'non-original' it is assumed that it does not have the 'orginal' value. This is not always the case as has been pointed out how much even just a barrel can be worth.