LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-15-2001, 03:36 PM   #1
Scott

Default Any Idea of Collectability?

My father has just "dug-out" of his achives, a silver(Chrome I think) Luger that has a crown above Ereurt and 1916 stamped on the chamber. All the numbers match. The grips are wood, but are not checkered, they are smooth. Very little pitting. I was/am very intrigued, as he said he has had it for 50+ years. Is it worth anything or does it simply have sentimental value. As you can see, I am clueless. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

Unread 10-15-2001, 07:27 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Any Idea of Collectability?

Welcome to the Luger Forum Scott,

It has great sentimental value, but no collectibilty. Returning GIs often had these war trophies nickle plated. The value of your Luger is about $400-$500 approximately.

Please go to our Owner's Corner where you can see an excellent example of such a gun under member "Deaf Smith".

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 10-15-2001, 09:44 PM   #3
Scott

Dok:

Thank you for your response and the information. I just have one follow up question in regard to the nickle plating. As I examine it, I get the impression that the plating was done before the markings (numbers) were stamped into it. Could this have been a presentation piece, or sometype of special piece? Or, were there no such pieces made back in 1916?

Thanks,

Scott

Unread 10-16-2001, 02:30 AM   #4
Wesley
New User

Default No chance, none, nada, zippo (EOM)

Unread 10-16-2001, 09:24 AM   #5
Wilson

Default Silver Plating

I have been told that there have been Silver plated original manufactured Lugers. Why does Wesley say NO

Unread 10-16-2001, 09:28 AM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: NO Silver Plating

I don't believe there were ANY ever done that way. LOTS of them were Nickel plated by GIs after WWII! Most collectors are sorry that they were redone, but I do think they will eventually hold some collectablity due to the circumstances of the War. Let's face it, they thought they were improving them so there has to be SOME appeal to them. I may get one someday just to one! ~Thor~

Unread 10-16-2001, 09:30 AM   #7
Thor
User

Default Re: Silver Plating (Maybe)

Seems like Goehring's presentation Krieghoff was plated Silver of platnium? I dont have Gibson's book! Can somebody look that one up? ~Thor~

Unread 10-16-2001, 12:03 PM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Goring's Presentation Luger...

Was plated in Platnium with gold filled engraving (Krieg #16999). There is also a gold plated Krieg in a collection, I believe..??

Gibson states - somewhere! - that Kriegs were plated in Gold, Silver and Platnium....

Unread 10-16-2001, 12:24 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default It's not beyond the realm of possibility...

that an engraver went over the serial number and proofs AFTER it was plated, to clean up those items because the plating had filled them in. Just a thought.

Dok

Unread 10-16-2001, 12:25 PM   #10
Marvin
User

Default Re: Goring's Presentation Luger...

John,

I think you are correct about the Kreighoffs having been made with Gold, Silver and Platinum plating. Since I am back in the Swamp again, I don't have my reference books with me, but I do remember that Kreighoff was the only company that has authentic plated pistols. No other Luger manufacturer that I am aware of has ever done this.

I wonder if any German officers ever had their pistol plated? I would speculate that they did not since the pay was not that great. Even the Political Leaders who had to purchase thier own Walther PPKs used a sort of lay-a-way payment system to purchase them. The Government almost forced the gun shops that sold the Political Leader pistols to allow this time payment so the Leaders could afford tro purchase their pistol. Until the mid thirties, things were tough in Germany with jobs and money was scarce. Just a few thoughts.

Marvin

Unread 10-16-2001, 02:56 PM   #11
mlm

Chroming was a popular thing for GI's to do to their battlefield captured pistols. During the late 40s and into the 50s, chroming was very popular as you can see from the large amount of chrome on cars, the shiny nickel or chrome sixshooters in the TV westerns, and the chrome on furniture in homes. Military pistols were not chromed on military contract. A 1916 Erfurt is a standard military contract pistol. The chrome finish is not by Erfurt.

Unread 10-16-2001, 05:22 PM   #12
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Marvin..!

You and I have to coordinate travel schedules - when you are back at the Swamp - I'm in the office. When you are back - I'm headed out the door on another "boondogle"..

Anyway - what you say makes sense about the cost of the Luger Presentation Models - and those that may have had extra engraving or decoration for "field use" (as the sidearm of military personnel). While I don't have Gibson's book at the office - I believe that there are 5 or so documented, highly embellished/plated/engraved Kriegs. Interesting note about Krieg Presentation #16999 is that somewhere I think it's documented that the pistol was returned to the factory as it began to lose it's Platnium finish. I'm not sure of the details, though... Also - I've also not heard that the other Luger manufacturers had done "plated" Lugers as presentation models - so perhaps someone else could/would chime in..??!!

Anyway - have a safe and successful trip - and I look forward to seeing what you have on your recent purchase after you get home..!!

Unread 10-17-2001, 07:16 AM   #13
Marvin
User

Default Re: Hi John..!

John,

Thanks for the comments! I have always felt that the German Army distribution for firearms was probably similar to the US in the basic make-up, and the regular soldier or Officer who issued a Luger would not do anything to this equipment or he would be responsible to pay for it out of his pocket. If a German high ranking Officer did have a little money, and wanted a little extra on his sidearm, he may have some work done to it. But my thoughts about this, is that they were Military Officers and not gun collectors like Goring was, so they bought what they could afford or what was available.

During the war, the gun shops never had the quality pistols like Lugers available. The Walther PP & PPK was so popular, and the supply on the commercial market was so low, that they had to wait many months for one to arrive. The German gun shops sold anything they could get their hands on, and the buyers were glad to get them.

By the way, I found a new copy of "Kreighoff Parabellum" and it should arrive at the house this week. I can't wait to read it!

Marvin

Unread 10-18-2001, 08:52 PM   #14
Dok
RIP

Default Is this what G�¶ring's Krieg looked like?
Find More Posts by Dok
Unread 10-18-2001, 09:54 PM   #15
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Pssst - Hey DOK...??

I dunno if it's the Luger or not - all I get is a big RED "X" where the pic is suppossed to be..!!???

Unread 10-18-2001, 11:33 PM   #16
Thor
User

Default Re: Is this what G�¶ring's Krieg looked like?

Goerhings Krieg was one of the Lugers of the month circa pre DOK days, it was an engraved Luger with a blue looking background! Check your Archives Dok! Thorboy

Unread 10-19-2001, 02:25 AM   #17
Thor
User

Find More Posts by Thor
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:16 AM   #18
Dok
RIP

Default You can tell that's the REAL McCoy :)

Thanks Thor!

Unread 10-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #19
Johnny Peppers
User

That is not the Krieghoff documented as belonging to Hermann Goring. The Krieghoff that belonged to Goring is #16999 and is owned by Randall Gibson. I think the pistol shown is #16953.

Unread 10-19-2001, 08:45 PM   #20
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: That Looks like " The Fat (&(*&%)) 's Work!! (EOM)