LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
Rich D

Default Luger Questions

About 5years ago I bought a luger for $299 which I thought was a good deal it came with an original almost excellent shoulder stock, but not correctly numbered to the gun. Whats it worth?

Now on to my other questions, the Luger has an unmarked 6.5 inch barrel, all numbered parts, trigger 72, firing pin toggle 72 also has a stamp that looks like a man with his arms in the air surrendering, barrel release lever 72, frame 772 over h, and wooden bottom on magazine is marked GL over N over 772, on right side of barrel frame is a Crown over an N, no date on top, and the side plate has a Crown over a B original gold colored handgrips.

Now the part in question, and I don't know if it is original or correct is the top of toggle which is marked with only byf and no other numbers, is it the original Mauser toggle strap, or is it a replacement, if so who is the original Maker of this Luger, ERFURT? DWM? byf? and about what year was it made. Whats it worth? Thanks for any help.

Unread 10-22-2001, 05:13 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Some answers and some guidance...

Your Luger sounds like a parts luger that someone put together to make a shooter, or at the least, a Luger repaired with a replacement (BYF) toggle. To determine more, we would need more info. Please check the General Information link to the left to find out what you need to tell us for us to determine your pistol's approximate value.

The most interesting part of your description is the magazine that you say has a "GL" stamped on it? IF it is indeed original, it is possible that this magazine may have much historical interest and value as "GL" could be the Luger designer's initials (Georg Luger).

Would it be possible for you to post photos or scans of the pistol and magazine markings? This would certainly help identify what you have. If you have access to either a digital camera, or a scanner I would be glad to assist you in the process of posting photos to the forum. The photos or scans must be less than 80K in file size, and either JPEG or GIF in type, and the UPLOAD PHOTO link is located at the top of the main discussion board page... just follow the instructions on screen.

Your shoulder stock, if it is original German manufacture is certainly worth as little as a couple hundred dollars, and as much a several hundred dollars depending on it's type and whether or not it has been refinished... If it is a reproduction shoulder stock, it's value is likely less than $125 because you can buy them new for about that amount.

A WORD OF CAUTION concerning the use of the shoulder stock: it is very possible that your pistol is NOT considered legal by BATF with a shoulder stock attached. Mere possession of the shoulder stock and pistol is not illegal (yet) but the act of physically attaching the stock to the pistol may place it in the National Firearms Act of 1934 category of being a short barreled rifle (SBR) and that requires registration and paying a $200 tax. Please read the threads not too far down from yours about the laws on shoulder stocks and Lugers and also check BATF letter posted under General Information.

IF after reading the references I have told you about, you need further assistance in explaining the situation about shoulder stocks and Lugers, please contact me... either here on the forum or directly by email.

You are invited to open a User Profile, and tell us a little about yourself... this also locks your userID so no one else can post using your name. Read some other profiles to get the idea of what to put in yours... Only post that information that you feel comfortable with in a public forum. the User profile is free form text.

regards, John Sabato