LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
Bart
User

Default First Luger...Can Anyone Help?

I am very interested in purchasing my first Luger. I would like to spend approx $1000.00 and have no real preference as to they type I get, only that I get the best piece for the money. Who can I trust? Should I buy from an internet site "sight unseen" as it would be from worldoflugers.com? Should I go to a local dealer? Should I join an in-progress acution and bid until I win? Just looking for some help and guidence, as reading some of these threads, most folks here really seem to care, and are quite knowlegable. Lookng forward to your help. Thanks a lot, Bart

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:27 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: First Luger...Can Anyone Help?

Welcome to The Luger Forum Bart. I can recommend someone of the Ralph Shattuck (World of Lugers) or Bob Simpson (Simpson Ltd). While it might be sight unseen, these folks will give you what you pay for, and are a lot more trustworthy than anyone on the auction networks.

I bought my first Luger from an importer (AIM Surplus) sight unseen for $375, and in retrospect, if I had to do it over again, I think I would give Ralph a call. You didn't mention if you were starting a collection with this piece, but in any event a reputable dealer will give you a fairer shake. There are some dealers listed in our Links & Resources for your convenience. As with any dealings, do your "due diligence", and good luck. If you need to ask questions - we are here!

Let us know how it goes!

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:28 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Bart - and Welcome..!

Ahh - yep, the first purchase can be somewhat intimidating, for sure..!! Here are a couple of suggestions:

DO - only buy from a reputible source. And yes, some of those have Websites, like Ralph Shattuck at World of Lugers, who you mentioned. Personally, I have bought quite a bit from him and never been disapointed. And he is quick to offer advice - even if it means he doesn't make the sale to you then.. There are other dealers as well - some are good, and others, well - just be careful.

DO - now that you have a budget in mind, try to narrow your search for a particuliar period Luger and decide what you want from collecting. For example - do you want a RIG (Luger, holster, tool, etc.) - or do you want just a nice pistol without the RIG? Do you want to shoot it - or will it be a "wall hanger"? Its my opinion that most budding enthusiasts buy their first Luger just because they "stumble" onto it - and end up selling their first piece because they decide later to focus on a certain era or variation. It's great that the first one gets them into the hobby - but kind of "map out" where you want to take it..

DO - ask a lot of questions to the Forum - and don't be shy about asking what folks think about a particuliar Luger or our experience with a seller or dealer - BEFORE you buy!. Most of us will volunteer that information either privately or publicly.

DO - get ready to become addicted to these very unique pistols - whether you decide to acquire an Import marked, mis-matched shooter - or a totally MINT collectors piece, each is unique..!!

DO NOT - just bid on an open auction. IMHO, that's the worst way to buy your first Luger..!! Remember, the sellers motive is to sell the Luger for as much as they can - not be concerned with what you really want - nor answer your questions before you buy. (Maybe I've been burned too often on Auctions..!).

DO NOT - get discouraged if you don't find that "perfect" Luger the first day you start looking..!!

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:32 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default John, this is very good...

Can I post it to the FAQ?

Dok

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Of course - but only if....

you fix all the typo's first (like "reputible" or "particuliar" ) We can't have a permanent record of my illiteracy in the FAQ, now can we??!!

Also - you may want to incorporate other replies as well, as I'm sure others (like yourself) can add to this list. Heck, we've all made the "first purchase" mistakes!!! I've just made more of them then most..!!! LOL!!!

Unread 10-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default And I was going to be polite...

and not mention those typos!!!

Thanks buddy.

Unread 10-17-2001, 01:05 PM   #7
Dok
RIP

Default Bart, use John's guidelines...

they are excellent, and as I mentioned please ask all the questions you need. Visit the profiles at the top of the message board and fill in a profile for yourself (this locks in "Bart" for your use only), and will tell us something about you. Also visit the General Information section on the sidebar menu and read the Forum Decorum document, which will give you an idea as to what to expect from the Luger Forum and what we expect of our members.

Hope to see you often.

Dok

Unread 10-17-2001, 02:17 PM   #8
Marvin
User

Default Re: John, this is very good...

Dok,

Man, this is good information from John D., and I agree that it should be included for all newcomers to Luger to read. Good work John, great information.

Marvin

Unread 10-18-2001, 11:03 AM   #9
Bart
User

Default Re: Hi Bart - and Welcome..!

Hi John, and thanks for the great advice. Really makes sense, and needed to hear the things you said. Appreciate it!

Bart

Unread 10-18-2001, 10:12 PM   #10
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Bart..!!

You welcome for the advice - believe me, I was where you are now... Unfortunately - my "first" Luger was one I just had to have. So I bought it. Some time later (about 4 weeks to be exact ) - I decided to get serious about collecting - and sold that first Luger at a huge loss as it didn't get me where I wanted to be in starting on the variation I wanted to collect in...

In retrospect - and if I was smarter - I would have liked my first acquisition to be the cornerstone of my collection today. Perhaps not to be the "best" piece as you build the collection - but maybe the most personally meaningful, if you know what I mean..??

Let us know what you end up with, OK?? And again - ask any question you'd like - anytime!!