LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-21-2001, 10:02 AM   #1
bo
New User

Default Luger 1917 DWM

Hi,

My name is Bo, and I now and then read the messages in this bord. Well I`m very interested to buy a Luger, and today I found one at a exhibition that I found interesting. Sorry to say that someone for one or another reason seems to filed the rearsight down.Would also bee god to get your opinion of what possible reason anyone would have to file the rearsight down. The seller claims the gun is of the luger model 1906 , that was a rare type with adjustable rearsight.So my question to the board is, would it be possible to repair this damage, and where to find spare parts to do so, and of course what parts will be needed.

I�´m interested in start to collecting Lugers, but this one I thought might be possible to maybee use as a shooter, without destroying any collector and historical value to a firearm.Any advise from the board how to investigate the gun

concerning it�´s usefullness as a shooter would be higly appreciated as well.

Sincerely,

Bo

Unread 10-21-2001, 10:28 AM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Luger 1917 DWM

Bo,

If you are interested in collecting Lugers, I would suggest buying a few good books before you jump off into the deep water. As to the Luger you saw, it is not particularily rare, and did not come with an adjustable rear sight. It would need another rear toggle assembly to correct the damage, and would have no collector value either left as is or repaired. If the Luger is a Model 1906, most of these were in .30 Luger and the ammunition is not that common. I would stick with a 9mm for a shooter.

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:13 PM   #3
Dok
RIP

The only 1906 Luger that had adjustable sights was the 1906 Navy model. You didn't mention the barrel length, Navy barrels were 6" long, any thing shorter would not have had an adjustable sight.

Dok

Unread 10-21-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

Hi

The gun can be a 1914 navy wish like the 1906 navy have a adjustable rearsight.

In both cases should the barrel be 6" instead of 4".

One reason why the rearsight can have been filed down is the regulations within the Swedish pistolshooting that states that the length betwen the sights should be the maximum of 220 mm.

And i know in a few cases when they shortend the navy barrels that they also destroyed the sights.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www.vapensmedjan.com
Unread 10-21-2001, 07:28 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

If the pistol is a 1906 Navy with the rear sight ground off, it will be no problem to tell. The ramp that the sight rides on is milled off deep into the rear toggle. Not much way to get rid the sight without leaving part of the ramp intact. The non-adjustable sight for the 4" just perches on top of the rear toggle.

Unread 10-21-2001, 07:31 PM   #6
Kyrie
User

Hi Folks,

Another reason a Luger may have no rear sight is parts swapping. I had a fellow offer me a â??matchingâ? 1917 Imperial Military (four inch bbl) that had no rear sight, and no indication that the rear toggle link ever had a rear sight. The seller was trying to put it off as a â??rare factory mistakeâ?Â. In reality the (presumably mismatched) rear toggle link had been replaced with the rear toggle ling from an Artillery that happened to have the same last two serial number digits as the pistol being offered for sale.

Be wary of any alteration, and presume itâ??s a Bubba Special until proven otherwise.

Best regards,

Kyrie