LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #1
DAVE HOPKINS

Default FREE PRIVOTING TAKE-DOWN LEVER

I JUST TOOK DELIVERY OF MY FIRST LUGER TWO DAYS AGO. IT IS A 1918 DWM, REBLUED AND WITH A 6" BBL OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN. INITIALLY I WAS STRUCK BY THE FACT THAT THE TAKE-DOWN LEVER WOULD FREELY PIVOT TO THE 6 O'CLOCK POSITION WHEN THE TOGGLE WAS BROUGHT UP TO IT'S MOST REARWARD POSITION AND HELD IN PLACE BY THE MAGAZINE CATCH. WHEN THE WEAPON IS RETURNED TO BATTERY, THE LEVER BECOMES RIDGID IN THE APPROPRIATE 3 O'CLOCK POSITION. I AM HAZARDING A GUESS HERE, BUT AM I PERHAPS MISSING SOME SORT OF DETENT (FRICTION PIECE) IN THE KEYWAY IN THE BOTTOM OF THE RECIEVER HOLE WHICH ACCEPTS THE TAKE-DOWN LEVER? I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL IF ONE OF YOU GENTLEMENT COULD ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO A REMEDY TO MY SHAKEY INTRODUCTION TO THESE BEAUTIFUL PISTOLS.

HELFEN MIR BITTE

DAVE HOPKINS

KINGSPORT, TN

Unread 10-12-2001, 04:39 PM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: FREE PRIVOTING TAKE-DOWN LEVER

Hi Dave..!

First - Welcome..!!!

Second - yes, there is a small "lever spring" (actually sprung wire called a "locking bolt spring") that is an "L" shape, that fits in the "keyway" as you describe it.. When that is inserted into the hole, with the bottom of the "L" coming through the base of the frame - it holds that lever at the 3:00 position..

Congrats on your purchase!!!!

Unread 10-12-2001, 04:55 PM   #3
Thor
User

Sounds like the small spring John Talked about is missing. Tom Heller has replacements (I just bought three) see him in the Link & Resources section of this forum or at

http://www.hellerarms.com/ ~Thor~

Unread 10-13-2001, 06:37 AM   #4
Luke
User

Default Comment from E-Book on Luger Mechanicals

The following comment comes from the E-Book on Luger Mechanical Function.

"It must be stressed here that this tiny part, if forgotten on reassembling, or of bad quality, will render your Luger completely unsafe. You will have your Luger "stripped" at the first shot."

Unread 10-16-2001, 01:15 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

I have a lot of Lugers without the locking bolt spring and I bought some to install. I haven't installed any yet because of time constraints. But I understand that they are difficult to remove and to install. Is there a trick to it? What about lugers that have the spring in them but don't seem to work? Is there and way of bending them properly to make them work like they should?

Big Norm

Unread 10-16-2001, 07:31 AM   #6
Marvin
User

The most difficult thing about removing the locking block spring is having the correct size punch to tap the spring loose. Once it moves, you can take a set of needle nose pliers and remove it easy. The difficult part is replacing it. I use a very samll set of pliers, place it in position, and then a tap to get it started into it's hole. Onbce it is started, I use a brass punch to seat it into position. It is not difficult, just aggrevating due to it's size and not an easy area to work in. Also. if you have the frame clamed in a vise (with protected jaws) it will be easier. I sometimes have my wife be there as an extra set of hands to do tapping when I am holding the pin with the pliers on installation.

Marvin

Unread 10-16-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

You mean that I gotta get a wife now? Geez! I heard that Luger collecting was expensive, but a wife too...

Big Norm

Unread 10-17-2001, 07:01 AM   #8
Marvin
User

Norm,

A wife is permanent, but you can always have a girlfriend help out. This is another way to find out if she likes guns! You can do the job by yourself, but a pretty girl sure makes it more fun.

Marvin