LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 11-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
nukem556
User

Default Mauser sideplates

I've noticed on a large number of the Interarms Mausers, the sideplates are a distinct purplish color, somewhat like seen on the receivers of some late war Mauser production. Bluing variation is understandable on wartime guns, but why would Mauser be this sloppy for modern commercial production? The contrast is distracting, and takes away from the overall appeal of the pistol.

...C'Mon Vlim, fill us in!
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
saab-bob
User

Nukum
Interesting to hear I am not the only one with this question. I bought a Interarms Mauser new back in the day. I have shot it @400 rounds since them.
It has always been cleaned carefully,oiled and wiped down with a silicone cloth. Never carried in a holster and stored in a gun rug in a safe. My sideplate has turned plum colored as well? I blamed myself,thinking I had incorrectly stored it or cleaned it. The rest of the bluing is great??
Bob
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
nukem556
User

Interesting, Bob.....so the sideplate started out the same blue as the rest of the gun, and turn plum-colored over the years?
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Bobs, this has been discussed previously...

Slight differences in metallurgy and heat treating seem to bring out the 'plum" color. I've seen pics of it on WWII Mausers, and own a 20/70 with a sideplate going plum. I also have two Erma KGP68a pistols--the ones on which only the frame is cast Zamak, the uppers are all steel--and the rear toggle links are showing plum.

Obviously, the process takes decades. I find it not so much offensive as interesting. Not sure I'd want an entire plum-colored gun, but...
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Not much to add, really.

As explained, the side plates were blue when they left the factory. With their new production, Mauser started the use of cast and sintered small parts. This was done to make production more cost effective. It seems that the different composition of the metal caused the blueing to react in a different way over time. (but not always, I have NIB pistols that are as blue as when they left the factory).

Which makes me wonder whether heat and/or UV exposure play a part in the process.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
saab-bob
User

Vlim
Didn't realize this had been discussed. At least I know that the discoloration isn't something I did.
With my gun,it is stored in a temperature stable environment.
Since almost all my shooting is done at a indoor range,it has received very little sun exposure.
To bad,wish I could shoot more outdoors. California is not a friendly place for gun ranges,especially out door ranges!

Ah well,quess I will have to chalk up the color changing sideplate to one of those unexplained mysteries of the universe.
Bob.

Bob
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Guys, I have original blued, not plum collored, new Mauser Parabellum side plates available @$100 each, not including lever & pin. Please specify if you desire the Swiss or PO8 type. Tom