LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #81
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
Gentlemen,

I am moving up this old thread, which I originally started back in January 2003. I wonder if anybody is still onto that Springfield trail of the US test Luger serial range that came up in the thread? Ron?

Balder
John,
Sorry to say all further inquiries to SA have been dead ends. I continue to record reported US Test Lugers and have a total of 289 Bannerman guns reported to date (I just picked up a new number for the data base today!)
Ron
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #82
Balder
User

Thanks Ron, good job!

I'd like to share a litte bit of the history behind my (possible) US test Luger.

When Germany invaded Norway in April 1940, my father (the local sheriff, ex-officer) supposedly gave it to his uncle. Where it came from and why he gave it to his uncle we have no clue. My father went on to Sweden and then to the UK, from where he in 1943 returned in parachute in charge of an SOE/Linge Company operation. But that's a different story.

This is where I start guessing. My grandfather worked in the USA from 1903 to 1906, mostly on the East Coast as far as I've been able to determine. I believe the Bannerman guns were put on the market in 1906, my grandfather could have picked one up, brought it back to Norway and passed it on to my father. Were these guns sold in regular gun stores? From Bannerman stores? Other places?

Balder

http://forum.lugerforum.com/album.php?albumid=562&pictureid=2954
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #83
Balder
User

Gentlemen,

Once again I'm moving up this old thread (originally from 2003) to see if anyone can tell me more about the Bannerman sales of US test Lugers.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #84
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The pistol was more than likely sold out of Bannerman's establishment at 501 Broadway, NYC. There was so much material that came and went out of this location, that Bannerman built a "castle" on the Hudson River to store much of his goods. When the Broadway location was renovated, they found that Bannerman had used everything from rifle actions to cannon as "rebar" reinforcement in the floors of the building!

Here is a bit of history.

http://www.bannermancastle.org/banne...-broadway.html
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to alanint for your post: