LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
calibrator
User

Default This One's For You Tom Austin

Hey Tom, I'm bored and killing time.

Can't recall if you've ever seen this. Ruth is the narrator. Some of the video footage is mine, as well as the Propaganda Poster in the beginning. The conceptualization of all aspects of this were my ideas, including Ruth's narration and the idea of the P-51 strafing segment. I also assisted during the editing so that my ideas were realized. Rob Lippert did the his editing magic, as well as flying the drone footage (well done).

For others viewing, back story. Ed is an international "Used Car Salesman', and often travels to Europe. He ran across this M16 (Quad .50) White Half Track in a museum in France. It was used by the Israeli's as a Missile Launcher and was painted desert tan at one time. Current paint is from the French resto. He purchased it. Shipped it back to Long Beach where it was promptly locked up by the feds for a month because it has actual uncut armor plating (making it one of a kind, since all civilian ones were stripped for sale), and categorized as a "Weapon Of War". He received a $32K storage bill, later negotiated to $16K for release.

This sat in my yard for 5-6 yrs so that it was close to the Big Sandy MG Shoot every 6 months, I replaced all the wiring and electrical components, exhaust system (larger 2 1/2" tube gives it a sound that pales other similar 'tracks), clutch, brakes and a winch rebuild. The mount for the Ma Deuce tripod is also my creation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-De...gsrGc97yk/view

This Half Track is for sale, and located currently in Minnesota.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 06-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #2
reiver
User

Nice...Big Sandy is just down the road from us in Wickenburg and we live off of 93 north of town.
Figured the mount was an improv but a nice one. A turret ring mount with a 'free gun' is more 'fun' I'd think but where would you source that stuff. Might be an issue on the range too without the T&E but when you pull the grips into your chest and use your bod for the T&E it works almost as well.
Nice vid and beautiful vehicle.

An Army buddy has a two wheeled Feret he purchased in England and drives on the street...very cool deal that.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to reiver for your post:
Unread 06-23-2023, 06:31 PM   #3
calibrator
User

Hey reiver,

Some folks go golfing, some shoot machineguns. The T&E is used for one of our favorite games. During the night shoot there are always small fires breaking out downrange. We take turns trying to put out the fires squeezing off only single rounds, usually by aiming just in front of it to kick up a dirt blanket to put it out. You can definitely see the whole vehicle recoil squeezing off single shots like that.

Shooting the M2 on full auto is fun if you can afford it, especially when they drag out a junk car or some old well casings and you're shooting API to watch impacts.

Some say Big Sandy may not be long for the world. The State is rumbling about it being a major environmental hazard. The US rents the site out often for testing and training. Likely a LOT of depleted uranium downrange. They actually built a replica "Iraqi Town" there out of shipping containers and such for training. There are pneumatic pop-up targets in the hills as well. Marcinko used to bring SEAL 6 out there to train back when. My GF and I met Chris Kyle out there for a Basic Sniper course he was co-hosting for Craft Inc. Nobody knew he was the "Legend" at that time.
The following member says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 06-23-2023, 10:27 PM   #4
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Thanks so much for showing us your video calibrator ... I really enjoyed it, looks like you had a blast shooting it (pun intended)
I wish there was audio but hey we can't always have everything can we ??
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
calibrator
User

YES you can have everything spangy!!!

My video was the product of the creator of this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJTaa0vCtUE
Unread 06-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #6
calibrator
User

Default Select-Fire 1911A1

I've watched folks shoot this.

I wasn't on site at the time but one guy broke the ocular bone in his skull when he lost control shooting this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UdbFTAEks
Unread 06-24-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default yo......

the covid, coupled with the major weather patterns affecting range access, have surely disturbed the semi-annual shoot.....

Ed, apparently looking to sell the "tracks", is moving on with some of his ideas....

I have overheard some conversations concerning the issues with the shoot-site....a couple of the local attorneys had been making plans to get out for one later this year and brought up the site safety concerns and the FEDS...

They had been on the internet and stumbled across a hazardous ranges article in which BS was mentioned....

Don't know another location the FEDS might use..
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #8
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Thanks again calibrator ... the video is incredible and reminds us all, even non Americans, just how important and special the 2nd amendment is.

Our gun rights are under attack in Canada and indeed all over the world.
I can tell you from 1st hand experience that you must never let 'them' take your 2nd amendment rights EVER !!
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #9
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

For those who have never had the pleasure of banging away with a 50 BMG, it costs about $300.00 per minute to blast away with it.......

best general price per round is $3.00

standard ammo can is 100 rounds...

Ma Deuce runs at 400 rounds per minute

but, screwing around time with giggling and laughing, you probably won't shoot more than a can every minute or two before you go broke.

BUT, for those of us who have access to the "Big Muther", you ain't lived until you find a friend that has one......

Tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post: