LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
wisgro123
User

Default P08 Trigger Problem

I removed the barrel and receiver from my P08 to lubricate the slide. I reassembled the pistol after oiling and cocked it. I had to pull the trigger twice before the firing pin activated. I cocked it a few more times and the pin activated each time with one pull but the next time I cocked it I had to pull the trigger twice before the pin activated. I disassembled the barrel and receiver to check but didn't see anything out of order. Reassembled the pistol, cocked it and the pin activated. Cocked it again and had to pull the trigger twice. I tried about a half dozen more times but had to pull the trigger twice at random times. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
wisgro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Is the safety on?
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugersrkewl for your post:
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
alvin
User

Sounds like trigger bar plunger pin's issue. This plunger is the key component of Luger's disconnecting mechanism.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Agreed. The plunger at the end of the sear bar is not resetting properly after each firing sequence.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
wisgro123
User

Thanks for responding so quickly. Do you mean the Sear Bar Spring when you say the plunger?
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
wisgro123
User

Thanks for responding so quickly. You said "trigger bar plunger pin." Do you mean the Sear Bar Spring?
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
wisgro123
User

Thanks for responding so quickly. The pistol won't fire at all with the safety on so I know that's working.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisgro123 View Post
Thanks for responding so quickly. The pistol won't fire at all with the safety on so I know that's working.
On the end of the sear bar at the front is a spring plunger that acts as the disconnector. When you fire the gun and it returns to battery this plunger is compressed by the trigger bar in the sideplate. When you release the trigger this plunger pops out behind the trigger bar so that it can contact it when you fire the next shot. It sounds like this plunger is not popping out when you release the trigger therefore not allowing the gun to fire. If you remove the sideplate and look at how it is linked to the trigger and sear bar you will see what im talking about.
kmichaels90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kmichaels90 for your post:
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
wisgro123
User

Great. Thanks. I'll check it out later today.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

W, I'd first check that you have the side plate properly inserted into the notch in the frame and that it is flush with the frame. If so, then you probably will have to do some work on the trigger lever inside the side plate, for correct resetting of the disconnector plunger. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
wisgro123
User

Thanks for responding. Before I checked the side plate fit I put a drop of oil at the axle pin where it goes through the lever in the back of the side plate. I then carefully inserted the plate into the notch. (I took it off and replaced it a few times, checking carefully for fit.) If I hold the pistol so that I am facing the muzzle I can see a small gap between the side plate and side of the receiver. I can slide 3 thicknesses of regular bond paper edgewise into the gap (about 1/64). I can press the side plate snugly to the receiver but it doesn't stay there. Pressing the side plate before pulling the trigger doesn't help. I then cocked and pulled the trigger very slowly. Feels like something is not operating smoothly, like an obstruction then fires. Unfortunately when I cocked it again I had to pull the trigger 3 times before it fired.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
kmichaels90
User

Did you check the plunger on the sear bar to see if it is indeed sticking in and popping out slowly?
The following member says Thank You to kmichaels90 for your post:
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
wisgro123
User

Yes I checked that. It works fine with the trigger side plate off but it's covered when I replace the side plate so I can't see the action. I put a drop of oil on and worked the plunger quite a few times before replacing the side plate but that didn't help.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
kmichaels90
User

Seems very odd. If you have the gun cocked with it assembled then remove the upper will it release the firing pin when pressure is applied to the sear bar? If not I would say the issue is with the sear bar or firing pin. If it does release I would think the problem is in the trigger/sideplate/sear bar engagement. That would be an area where I wouldnt know what to do.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
wisgro123
User

I agree it's odd. The pistol has been handled carefully. Just took it out for a periodic wipe down and ran into a brick wall. Could you please explain what you mean by "remove the upper." What part are you referring to? (I looked at the P08 disassemble video and noticed that when the demonstrator pulls the toggle back to **** the pistol the toggle stays up by itself. I have 3 P08s and the toggle doesn't stay up on any of them.)
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
kmichaels90
User

You very likely have 3 p08's like my p08 which does not have a last shot hold open. What I mean is make sure it is cocked, then remove the sideplate and slide the upper assembly (barrel,receiver,toggle assembly) off the front of the frame. Now push on the sear bar toward the barrel end and see if it releases the firing pin. If so I think you have an issue with your sideplate. If it doest release I'd say the issue is with the sear bar or firing pin.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
wisgro123
User

I followed your directions. The sear bar doesn't move and the firing pin is not released. The plunger located in the front of the sear bar pushes back easily. It springs forward into position when I release it. I reassembled the barrel, receiver and toggle assembly and pulled the trigger. I then disassembled the same parts and tried to push the sear bar. It won't move in either direction. (I have a parts map with labels so I can be sure I'm identifying the correct parts.) Should I be able to move the bar? Do you still think it's the sear bar or firing pin?
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
wisgro123
User

I played around a bit more then realized the sear bar actually pushes inward, not forward. I went through the process you described and the gun fired. If I understand correctly you suspect it's the side plate if the pin fires.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisgro123 View Post
I followed your directions. The sear bar doesn't move and the firing pin is not released. The plunger located in the front of the sear bar pushes back easily. It springs forward into position when I release it. I reassembled the barrel, receiver and toggle assembly and pulled the trigger. I then disassembled the same parts and tried to push the sear bar. It won't move in either direction. (I have a parts map with labels so I can be sure I'm identifying the correct parts.) Should I be able to move the bar? Do you still think it's the sear bar or firing pin?
Hmm... when pushing the sear bar you should be pushing the front half of it towards the other side of the gun. Such as put your thumbnail on the side of the plunger and push it in towards the center of the receiver. If thats what you did and it wont release it sounds like something is binding.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Walt,

When everything is assembled, is there play in the trigger plate fit against the side of the receiver? Does the take down lever hold it close to the receiver without movement? Earlier you described a 1/64 inch gap. Is that where it is? Is it flat and parallel against the side of the receiver, or at an angle?

Look inside the trigger plate and look for dirt behind the trigger bar (a right angle transfer bar). Make sure that the small pin is holding it square with the trigger plate.

This area was hand fit by the factory for each Luger. That's the reason the parts were numbered to the pistol s/n. Is your Luger matching?

The right angle transfer bar is hardened, and will snap if you try and bend or "re-form" it. Not something to do yourself.

Marc