LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default Navy holster follow up.

I guess it is live and learn. Received my first holster today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-WWI-...53.m2749.l2649

Leather is quite soft on the cover, backing hard as a rock. I'm worried as to such hard back hurting the Lugers finish when inserting/removing the pistol. Maybe originals were also as such. The leather does scratch easy. What I did miss was the lack of belt loops but the horizontal straps. I take this holster is designed for a shoulder strap. If so, are repos made of them? I take the strap inside the holster is just a pull through for securing the Luger. Is that a standard feature on this style holster?
I should have ask you guys for a good website to look at holster styles and features. Then again $50 for the holster, guess it is fine for it's reasonable cost. Now need to wait for the first of my navies to show up!
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bill,
I thought I made this clear when you first asked about repro Navy holsters, but here are some photos. Navy collectors categorize the holsters as either Type 1 or Type 2. Originally all holsters were Type 1 and were designed to be carried in conjunction with a stock. A shoulder strap was threaded through the holster and stock and was worn over the shoulder. It's not possible to carry the holster alone on a belt without modifying it.
Late in the war the Navy was deployed on land, fighting in Flanders, and it was decided to dispense with the stock and carry the holster on the belt, just like a P08. Hence the Type 2 holster with belt loops.
The first 2 photos show a Type 1 (with Type 1 pouch) and the second 2 show a Type 2.
I hope this helps, Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NH$ & NP3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	72196  

Name:	NH4 & NP3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	72197  

Name:	NLR44 & NP6.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	72198  

Name:	NLR44 & NP6 (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	72200  

Norme is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 04-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
Jasta2
User

Thanks Norm, I see my error in reading your post. In retrospect, I should have bought 2 type 2s if I wished to use them at a range unless I find a stray shoulder strap and modify it.
Unread 04-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta2 View Post
In retrospect, I should have bought 2 type 2s if I wished to use them at a range unless I find a stray shoulder strap and modify it.
Is there no one you can think of who might be able to construct a shoulder strap for the Type 2 holster??? No leather worker who is skilled at fabricating straps, lanyards, magazine pouches; repairing holsters, even making leather carrying cases for Luger carbines???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bill,
If you want to go the Type 1 route, this is a pretty good deal (no affiliations).
Regards, Norm
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/767249660
Norme is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 04-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Jasta2
User

Yep, I followed up and found a local leather worker. Will drop in this weekend. In this part of New Hampshire many leather workers ply their trade toward the motorcyclist that tour here in the state. New Hampshire has one of the largest and oldest motorcycle rallies in the country during June. Nothing to see groups of 40 or more Harley Davidsons, among others riding up. Along with getting the strap made, I'll get a couple of small removal belt loops made.
Unread 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Bill, I think what Rich was trying to say was that Jerry Burney (lugheholsterrepair) right here on the forum would be the go-to source for leather Luger needs, whether repairs, restorations, of creations of accurate recreations.

Since you're thinking of a modified strap to hold a Type 1 repro holster at the range, maybe it's not as important because a general leather worker can probably handle the job. But if you're ever after something that needs historical accuracy of design, construction, and materials for any period, Jerry would be the guy. He has sourced even the correct linen thread such as was used on the originals...

I'm pretty sure I witnessed segments of that rally a few years ago when I attended by nephew's wedding near the VT/NH border (I've forgotten the nearest little town). Saw a few roadside moose...and their cake was constructed of those "moose poop" cookies.