LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
flydive
User

Default Lugersman 45acp luger video

Here a video just uploaded by Forgotten weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elxb_VLRAwQ
flydive is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to flydive for your post:
Unread 02-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Blah blah blah..Man, that guy can blab on and on and not say much.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Well done, thanks for sharing.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydive View Post
Here a video just uploaded by Forgotten weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elxb_VLRAwQ
Thanks!

The recreated 1907 .45 Luger seems to work just fine; though fit, and particularly finish, seem a bit lower than other of Lugerman's recreations (particularly the grips).

I like the longer barrel and the target sights!

Respectfully,

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Blah blah blah..Man, that guy can blab on and on and not say much.
Youtube videos need to be at least 10 mins long to be monetized.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Maybe that explains it. Of particular note was his opinion about who would buy such an expensive gun. Some uppity snob who wants to impress his friends. No other reason...That and it's not really all that expensive. A lot of us have guns WAY more expensive. Weird character.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 02-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
HerrKaiser
User

I was able to talk to some people that collaborate often with Ian (Othias and Mae from C&Rsenal) and they said Ian would like to have more in depth videos but his contract with Rock Island means he has to do a lot of guns and videos every week and they span from antiquity to sometimes still in service. He just doesn’t have the time to make videos more in depth and so must give a very barebones presentation on them.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Maybe that explains it. Of particular note was his opinion about who would buy such an expensive gun. Some uppity snob who wants to impress his friends. No other reason...That and it's not really all that expensive. A lot of us have guns WAY more expensive. Weird character.
Jerry its perspective - we get used to Lugers costing $1,000 for a 'shooter' - a Navy costing $6,000+ etc

On several forums (many) folks are gnashing their teeth over how CMP is asking SO MUCH money for the service grade 1911a1's for $1050 (shipped to your FFL)....

----------------------

PS - Ian made a pre-mass production of the 45 acp last fall or so...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, I don't lose sight of the fact that Eugene's .45 Luger IS expensive. I don't have one although I would/could if I wanted but I can't seem to want to. I would like to shoot one someday.

A shootable .45 Luger has been a pipe dream for many up to now.

In some alarming news of late I have had discussions with two members that have bought them and the ones they have don't work. Jamamatics so to speak. I am hoping these astute members can solve the problem and that it is a simple one.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 02-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Yes, and no, on the .45 Luger?

Well, after having my .45 Luger to the range and then to the workbench 4 times before I could call it a success means that, "Yes" It is a successful and viable venture.. Did it start out that way, uuuummmm, "No!" below is an outline of the journey to 100% function?
When I first received and range tested the unit I had purchased, # 35 it would jam almost every round fired... I got to work on my new Luger and made some small but important modifications. They were more like finishing up revisions of items that were not completely finished or thought thru to testing? I dunno? I didn't make the thing, but it is sometimes the small things that mean the most for function.
1) I repaired the hold open by replacing and trimming to width an original hold open spring as mentioned before
2) I remover the mag followers and radiused the back top of the follower so it could sit higher in the mag and allow the follower button to go to the top of the slot unhindered, holdopen works now 100% bench or range
3) re-installed original mainspring (18 coils, had tried 17 coils, marginal results) as I didn't want too many changes at once, turned out to be the correct weight and was not the problem anyway.
4) Re-shaped the ejector nose so it was parallel to the breech face to reduce the brass hitting the receiver side? (helped but empty still impacts the left rail, I think?) Ejection did improve.
5) Re-shaped mag feed lips for more linear support of the cartridge on both mags, reduced or eliminated rocking of the rounds when in the mag.
6)Tried S&B again, still had jamming issues with short recoil, switched to WW Q4170 ball and the thing ran like a top?.... two five shot strings to empty with hold open working correctly both mags!
Soooo, good news, they can be made to run correctly... bad news is, I'm not sure which, if not all and more, of the above is most important?.. and, more ammo types need to be tried before any conclusion is reached?.. But, it is fun to shoot and will certainly work better as we progress!
Best to all, til….lat'r…..GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Gerry, it sounds like these modifications are beyond the skill level of most (90%) of Luger owners, or .45 Lugerman Luger buyers. I know they are beyond my skills.

I would guess there will be or already are many unhappy buyers.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default could be?

Hi Rich, you are probably correct, but I think that maybe the very early guns probably got more loving at the manufacture, and also maybe the earlier sets of magazines might have been more friendly to the end user?..
I know I will help anyone out there with a .45 Luger that wants me to, and I'm not connected to Eugene in any way... I just want to see them all run as designed... (maybe they are running as designed, no fault of Eugene's???)
Eugene will most likely read this post, and if he spends a little additional time on these shortcomings, he will be dollars ahead and it will be time well spent...
I would think he has dedicated test mags he uses, that work great, and let him test the guns to perfection, trouble is, these are probably not the same mags that go along with the gun? He needs to test all as one...
Eugene doesn't know me all that well, and his abilities and skill sets far outstrip mine, but I've spent my entire life in trouble shooting and problem solving along with handling customer satisfaction issues. It will not hurt to at least consider my recommendations... Hopefully the next 20 plus units will have the necessary additional tuning done inhouse... Now, back to the drums!!! Best to all, til…..lat'r…..GT.....
BTW Rich! Your skill sets and level are on par with, or exceed mine! You'd do fine on one of these units... they are fun to shoot!....
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Gerry, it sounds like these modifications are beyond the skill level of most (90%) of Luger owners, or .45 Lugerman Luger buyers. I know they are beyond my skills.

I would guess there will be or already are many unhappy buyers.
Rich,
Your skills are not in question- if you wanted to- these small tweeks would be a piece of cake.

But for sure you are correct about 90%+ of most buyers not being able or inclined to have to fix a $5000 pistol.

GT and I have commiserated about his pistol quirks, my #20 did not suffer as badly, but the hold open spring did have to be replaced.
Eugene was and is aware of that part of the problem, and was supposed to address the faulty heat treatment of the springs months ago.

Sadly, Eugene-Lugerman- is his own worst enemy. JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #14
Rick W.
User

HiYa G.T.,

Twas good to hear that you got a little range time with the 45. Even with the quirks you mentioned...............what a time huh? I know that I would have never thought the layman would ever get to experience such in these times.

I do not know the builder either, but suspect he has some time in grade with firearms. QA is always an important part of production, even though as a MTS, I did not always think so.

Sounds like the little things were worked out. Kinda a one of pistol I think, not to give the maker a lot of slack. 5000-9000 is a lot even today.

I remember the new automags coming out. Did they always run........well, no. Can they be made to run......yeah, I think so by the layman. I have several that I shoot often.

So one sometimes has to take what is on the table. At least you worked with it when it jammed the first time.........most would have swelled up and demanded their money back etc etc. You have a good trait I think.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 03-01-2019, 01:20 AM   #15
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Well, after having my .45 Luger to the range and then to the workbench 4 times before I could call it a success means that, "Yes" It is a successful and viable venture.. Did it start out that way, uuuummmm, "No!" below is an outline of the journey to 100% function?
When I first received and range tested the unit I had purchased, # 35 it would jam almost every round fired... I got to work on my new Luger and made some small but important modifications. They were more like finishing up revisions of items that were not completely finished or thought thru to testing? I dunno? I didn't make the thing, but it is sometimes the small things that mean the most for function.
1) I repaired the hold open by replacing and trimming to width an original hold open spring as mentioned before
2) I remover the mag followers and radiused the back top of the follower so it could sit higher in the mag and allow the follower button to go to the top of the slot unhindered, holdopen works now 100% bench or range
3) re-installed original mainspring (18 coils, had tried 17 coils, marginal results) as I didn't want too many changes at once, turned out to be the correct weight and was not the problem anyway.
4) Re-shaped the ejector nose so it was parallel to the breech face to reduce the brass hitting the receiver side? (helped but empty still impacts the left rail, I think?) Ejection did improve.
5) Re-shaped mag feed lips for more linear support of the cartridge on both mags, reduced or eliminated rocking of the rounds when in the mag.
6)Tried S&B again, still had jamming issues with short recoil, switched to WW Q4170 ball and the thing ran like a top?.... two five shot strings to empty with hold open working correctly both mags!
Soooo, good news, they can be made to run correctly... bad news is, I'm not sure which, if not all and more, of the above is most important?.. and, more ammo types need to be tried before any conclusion is reached?.. But, it is fun to shoot and will certainly work better as we progress!
Best to all, til….lat'r…..GT....
Hi GT,

I think that WW Q4170 is Winchester's 124 Grain 9mm NATO ball. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Sieger
Unread 03-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Sieger, I'm not sure? Remember when we had the thread on NATO marked or labeled ammo?.. I'm not too sure where this ammo falls, although I'm thinking it is a bit more robust and maybe as a result, works the action with more violence of motion?.... On one of the sales sites, it said it is a consistent middle of the road round?... best, til…..lat'r…..GT...
Unread 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Well for sure it was .45 acp and not 9mm!!!
Unread 03-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default missed that!

Yes! .45 230 grain ball! …….GT
Unread 03-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #19
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Yes! .45 230 grain ball! …….GT
GT,

Sorry for my brain fart

We all have one, now and then.

Sieger
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #20
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Smile Progress is being made!

Hello to all! Every range test, and subsequent minor adjustments are bringing us closer to our goal of consistency and a high % of function. Both my .45 and Lyn's .45 have run several string of five and worked as designed... We are very close to completion of the breaking in phase.
A little more magazine work concerning the follower spring and a "go to" 100% reliable, correct, and consistently strong ammo type are still being pursued. Right now it is WW 230 gr range ammo, with the classic military ammo on order?..
I have been in contact with Eugene and even though we have the option to return for service, he is supplying us with the necessary items we requested, no problem... Thanks Eugene!
Personally, I feel the guns are, or are going to be, fine! Very pleasant to shoot, and a wonderful looking animal in all respects! I get more excited as we get closer to our goal! Best to all, til….lat'r…...GT....
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: