LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Ezra
User

Question l-block or i-block

My eyes think it might be an i-block rather than my first assumption of an l-block. Your thoughts?

While we are at it, what was the final block of byf 42 Lugers? n-block?

Ez
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
skeeter4206
User

From looking at the thread that discussed suffixes, it looks to me like an "i". The "l" looks like they have a loop at the top which I dont see on yours. Plus yours looks like it has the dot on the top of it. I aint 100% sure but I copied them pics from that thread and added to this so you can compare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mauser_suffix_1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	32298

Name:	mauser_suffix_2b.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	32299
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Ezra
User

Hey Skeeter,

That's pretty cool! You're right, looks like an i-block.

Ez
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ezra for your post:
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
mustangcav
New User

Default Need Help Identifying Suffix

First of all, Hi...I'm Mustang, I'm an Army vet with service in Iraq and Afghanistan and have been collecting and preserving classic American, German and a few Japanese weapons for a few years. Just hate to see these pieces of history get trashed and then vanish. I didn't find a 'new member' page, so here we are. I am in awe of all the Luger smart folks on this forum!

After literally years of looking, I picked up a pretty nice P08 1941/byf and holster (joa) a young man got from his father and wasn't interested in it. Turned out I certainly was...otherwise he probably would have pawned it and this Luger would have ended it's life shooting small mammals out of trees and then used as a prybar. All the numbers match as they should on all the bits and bobs (including the magazine which has matching numbers) except for one fairly common and one not so common spot. The common spot is on one of the handgrips (right side) ...The left has the "53" (last 2 digits of the 6553 SN) and a Waffenamt marking but the right does not...no markings at all.
Now the curious thing...the outside of the trigger plate is marked as you'd expect with "53" like all the other parts, but the INSIDE of the trigger plate I expected to have "65" but it does not...it has "66"..whoa...any ideas on that?
Also for the life of me I cannot identify the suffix letter on the lower receiver. I have looked at numerous lists like the one on this page and there is no clear match. Can anyone help? Pics attached... thanks for reading thru all this!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Luger SN Block Letter.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	32926  

Name:	Luger Side Plate.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	32927  

mustangcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome aboard, Mustang.

The inner sideplate number is perfectly normal. It is ALWAYS marked with a number one digit higher than the serial number's first two digits. From the two photos provided it looks like it has its original finish as well, but more images would help confirm this. Photos of the grip innards would help as well. It was not unusual for field armorers to replace a damaged grip with an unmarked grip. It is not a deal breaker when valuing the pistol.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Mustang, Welcome home; Welcome to the forum and thank you for being willing to serve our country.

From what you've posted, I think you have a very nice collectable Luger. Please post some overall pictures when you get a chance.

- - - -

The suffix is a "r", making your serial number "6553r". A complete unique description would include it's identification as a 1941 "byf" code Mauser Luger, s/n 6553r. The number and suffix can be duplicated over the years of Luger manufacture.

I'd like to see a closeup of this frame serial number and suffix if possible.

As Doug mentions, except for an early period (1937-8, I believe) the side plate internal number is the first two digits plus one.

On Lugers in that early period, the side plate inside number is the same as the first two digits.

I don't have my reference book with me to verify the exact period and serial range.

Marc
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
mustangcav
New User

Thanks for the welcome and the info on the sideplate Alanint. I have attached a full side view of my P08 which can be magnified. Would appreciate your (and anyone else's) comment on the finish originality (or not)...

I disassembled this pistol down to the bones and cleaned and lubed it as soon as I got it home, found it to be sound, and fired 2 mags of 'sedate' 9mm thru it and what a joy to fire. Unconsciously started barking commands in Prussian accented English at the range to everyones bewilderment. ...I can't have a weapon that I don't know functions or not. Just my thing ...

best, Mustang
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1120 Luger Side View.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	32928  

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

While you can't be absolutely sure from photos, your Luger looks like it's in original finish to me.

It is collectable and a piece of history. Damaging it will lose that.

It's not unusual on these forums to hear of mild loads damaging WW-II vintage pistols. They were well made, but there are common parts failures we can note.

I don't shoot collectable pistols. I have shooters for that purpose.

Here's a picture of a collectable P.38 that showed up this week on another forum...

Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BrokenP38.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	32930  

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
mustangcav
New User

I agree Marc, its shooting days are done, now that I know it is fully functional. That must have been a sad day on the P38. Sorry to see that happen to anyone...hope the shooter didn't get too injured on that one...Thanks for the note and the pic.
Also thanks very much for identifying that glyph as an "r"...I thought I was about to loose my mind on that one! I'll get some more pics up on it in the next day or two. Best, Mike

Last edited by mustangcav; 03-26-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: forgot some add'l comments
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,524 Times in 941 Posts

Mike
Looks original to me. Glad you do not intend to shoot it. Bill