LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
airforcemajor
User

Default Poor Condition Alphabet Commercial

I have parts of a 7.65 Luger that was given to me by the executor of an estate in about 1968/69, the gun may have been in a house fire. There is quite a bit of surface distress, I am not sure if it is due to the metal blistering from heat or if it is due to heavy rust. When given to me it was covered in a dark varnish-like material; possibly old oil. I have rubbed it lightly with 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits but still have a lot of old material to remove.

I have looked for markings everywhere I found markings on the Lugers pictured on this forum; below is what I found.
The toggle is marked “DWM” and has what looks like a "Crown N" on the left side of the 1st toggle. The bolt is marked "95" on the left side and there is what looks like "95" stamped on rear of 2nd toggle. A "3" is stamped underneath 2nd toggle. There may be a “95” stamped on the rear of the 2nd toggle or it may be my imagination.

The serial number is 5287i; “GERMANY” is stamped underneath the frame serial number. There is an "N" in a circle and a "J" in locking bolt well (for want of a better term).

There is an "N" on the left side of barrel extension but there is no evidence of a crown. I can’t find any other markings on the receiver. There is a very small “dot” above the right hand upright of the “N” but I am fairly certain that is a surface defect and not the remnant of a crown.

The safety is marked "GESICHERT" and the extractor is marked "GELADEN" on left side. There is no grip safety. There is a shoulder stock lug.

The barrel is marked with an upright "Crown N" on the bottom side forward of serial number. I can find no other markings on the barrel.

Assuming this is not some ultra-rare, previously unknown, example I may try my hand at refinishing it. I highly doubt that it is even worth the cost of the parts to make it complete but what the heck, the process will be fun.

From reading this forum I believe I have an Alphabet Commercial model made in the early 20’s; is this a good assumption?

If pictures don’t show up with this post I will continue to work on posting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0500 (Medium).JPG
Views:	28
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	39402  

Name:	DSCN0501 (Medium).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	39403