LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
GreyHammer
User

Default Commercial Magazines for P08 available

My lucky day. Been looking for some reliable replacement magazines for my shooters and have purchased several off eBay and also from triple k. I like the 3K, particularly the nickel with the wood bottom. But, these magazines would not reliably engage the last round hold-open. I've heard the Mec-Gar P08 magazines were good so after a bidding war on eBay and the price went over $52.00, I quit bidding. I've been cruising the net for weeks and everybody was out of stock on the Mec-Gars. When I happened on Greg Cote's web page (Saint Johns, FL), his MGLUGP08B (the search term I was using) when to the cart. Well, this happens a lot only to be advised that they are out of stock. Some companies let you pay and then send you an email the next day that they are on backorder. I ordered them on Monday, and two arrived in my mailbox today (Wednesday) @27.95 each. I am enthralled by the larger button which adds just enough extra pressure on the hold open device to firmly activate it. The mags have round springs and are appropriately stiff and handle 8 rounds. I highly recommend these if you are looking for same. http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/inde...roducts_id=600
GreyHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to GreyHammer for your post:
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

he must have bought them a long time ago, as I will buy them at shows any chance I get for less than $30

I checked into buying some enmass and they told me I had to order a 1,000 of them....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Lewis Fifer
User

I followed greyhammer's post and the mags came in two days. I bought them because they have circled wood pulls. They are brown and have Metgar printed on them but look perfect in my Navy lugers. They perform perfectly. Not exactly right but Navy mags are like hen;s teeth Lewis Fifer
Lewis Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have a fair number of Mec-Gar luger mags. None of them have a wood base. I just checked Greg's web site, and both of the Luger mags that he has for sale have a plastic, not wood, base. Are you sure that your mags have a wood base?
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Diver6106
User

If you can get any Luger mag for $30 or less, it is a good buy. You can also get repro wooden bases and pull out the plastic base and put the wood in, but this is difficult to do without leaving tool marks. The trouble with any base, is that it should be made with a punch pin, or maybe set screws, so it can be removed for cleaning.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I still have a few new Mecgar mags available. See my ad in the For Sale section. If you also want any type (including concentric circle Navy type) wood bottoms installed, contact GT in the vendor section. If you prefer to install one yourself, I also stock all types of his wood bottoms, but don't care to install them. TH
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Lewis Fifer
User

I think you are right. I was so enthralled by the black concentric pulls that I quit reading right there and ordered two However I will keep these untill something better comes along. Thanks for the heads up. Lewis Fifer
Lewis Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you want your Mec-Gar mags to have concentric wood bases like the original Navy lugers, our own GT here on the forum can make the change for you. He did one for me and it turned out perfect. Just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
GreyHammer
User

I buy the ww2 repo P08 Luger magazine bottoms off eBay for less than 15 bucks, including shipping from the UK. Very easy to replace, but you do need a punch and drill bit (3/32). I also use a 3/32 starter punch which holds the pin steady when starting. Also useful to have a small vise which I use a piece of plastic to help minimize any scratches. Push out the pins, set the spring and follower aside, insert the new wood mag base and drill the holds using the magazine as a template. Re-insert the spring, follower and new mag base. I use two punches, one to align the holes, and the starter punch to insert the first retaining pin, then the second. The vise is very useful at this point. I gently squeeze the area where the pins are to push them in flush. This helps avoid scratching the magazine with a punch. Five minutes and you are done creating a much improved look for the lower frame on your P08.
Unread 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
GreyHammer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I have a fair number of Mec-Gar luger mags. None of them have a wood base. I just checked Greg's web site, and both of the Luger mags that he has for sale have a plastic, not wood, base. Are you sure that your mags have a wood base?
Sorry for the lack of clarity: it's the Triple-K magazines that have the wood bases, not the Mec-Gar. The 3-K does not actuate the hold-open on my 1923 commercial DWM as well as the Mec-Gar due to the slightly smaller button. The Triple-K works well in my other lugers, though.

Last edited by GreyHammer; 10-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.