LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Tequila53
New User

Default Swiss 1929

Hi, I am new to this forum and just picked up my first Luger in a group buy. Basler40 got the 06/24 and I got the 29. All I can say these pistols are addictive! Holster is in great shape as well.

I look forward to learning more about these wonderful pistols.

Tequila53
Tequila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi George,

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting your Swiss beauty.

I think I see your M1929 serial number from your photo as # 746xx.

From V. Bobba's great book about Swiss Lugers, your luger was made in 1944 when 5,800 lugers were made that year by the Swiss in Bern.

It appears your very nice M1929 Swiss holster is dated either '44 or '45...so that is a nice match as well.

BTW...if you disassemble your luger and remove the receiver from the frame, look down into the front frame well (where the take-down lever shaft runs through).

You should see a number stamping such as 8.44. In this example. "8.44" would mean your luger was made in August, 1944.

Let us know what numbers you see.

The Model M1929 Swiss luger made by Bern was their attempt to redesign the luger to reduce production time and costs. Many attributes changed in comparison to the older M1906-style luger.

Some Swiss shooters believe the M1929, even with the "ugly" revisions some folks call them, to be the most accurate-shooting luger ever made.

BTW...I understand this group buy from Andrew Zink came through the Big Leroy's gun shop in Montana for importation into the USA. If you do not mind, could you post a photo showing how this gun shop "import stamps" such Swiss lugers. I would like to see this to see how the stampings are done and where they are placed...in case I want to bring one into the UAS as well.

Finally...would you mind indicated what this M1929 luger purchase cost you, totally, to your door ? I am not being nosey...just trying to help other LF Members know if there are enough price-savings to go through the importation-process and time and whether the costs-savings would be worth having a luger with importer's stampings or not...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

George,

One more question...Is there a serial number stamping across the top of your gun's rear toggle link ?

Here is an example of a photo I borrowed from the Simpson LTD web site :

Unread 02-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Tequila53
New User

Pete,
Thanks for the welcome.

I checked the frame well by the takedown lever and all that is there is"44"; no other number or periods. The rear toggle is also marked with the guns serial number. The holster is dated 1945 and I have acquired a complete Swiss cleaning kit in the leather pouch also dated 1945.

BTW, the pistol came with two mags, one with a black base and the other with a reddish base, both marked with the Geneva cross. I imagine the black base is correct for the black grips? Is the red base more proper for the 29 w/ the red grips?

Pistol & holster w/ two mags was $1999, plus about $145 for Leroy's fees, postage & insurance to me from Montana, plus 3.1% duty. I also got a K11 in this buy, but the costs quoted just reflect the Luger.

Since I have only field stripped the pistol, I have not yet found the import mark; Leroy's is always very discreet and they great to deal with. They managed to get the ATF import permit in just a few weeks. Thanks for all the info.
George
Tequila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Thanks, George...for the additional info. about your gun and your importation experience.

Looks like the guys selling in CH have figured out we Americans will pay a bit more so the "savings" of importing a luger a couple of years back has evened itself out with normal USA pricing.

BTW...I would hold onto that red Bern magazine if I were you. They sell for over $ 250 nowdays and are tough to find. Who knows, you make pick up a red M1929 luger with only 1 magazine in the future and you will regret dumping this one if you sell it off...